Relationships/ lifestyle management

Hello. No idea how this works, but I really need an advice or a different perspective.
I’m Ingrid, I’ve got diagnosed with MS this year. Just typing this has me in tears :sweat_smile: haven’t learned to cope with this yet, so in short I’m a mess.
But long story short. My boyfriend is away on a boys trip golfing. Yesterday they went to a music festival, loads of ppl….for mor context, I’m about to start my first ever dose of meds in a few weeks, so this has me worried. What plays in my mind is what if he contracts covid or monkey pox or whatever else - comes back - I get it - now I’m sick and can’t start the meds. Is it over the top to worry to this extent? I don’t know /mostly don’t think it’s reasonable for me to have an issue with him going out with his friends, especially on a boys trip, it’s too controlling, but I can’t help but think about it. It’s on my mind, so I thought I’d reach out online for any thoughts on the matter. Has anyone experienced something similar? Xx

2 Likes

Edited, going to rethink my answer as I may have misunderstood your post.

2 Likes

If it’s a few weeks, you have plenty of time to get Covid and be well again in time for the drug start. So he’s in the clear on this one, and so are you. But that’s not really what you’re asking about, is it? It’s more about the process of adjusting to having MS and wondering what you can expect from him as a supportive partner. And time will tell how well he does on that one.
There would have been little point his cancelling this trip. If your drug treatment were starting next week maybe that would be another matter. But there’s no use wondering about what if. Life will oblige him to reveal his true colours as time goes on, and in situations that aren’t hypothetical. It’s a tough time fr you both and I wish you well.

1 Like

Thank you Juls.

Hi Alison, apologies I wasn’t very clear. But you are exactly spot on, I just don’t know what’s reasonable to ask of him or what I should expect. He’s been so understanding and supportive so far, we red loads of material together etc. trying to learn. And I know this has been hard for him too, we are both adjusting. But I guess every situation is different, and we’ll have to learn our own way what works best. You’re right, the time will tell. Really appreciate the response! Thank you.

1 Like

Hi dear, have you told him yet or now?

Bloke’s eye view here:

He won’t understand why you want to axe his trip and being a buzzkill won’t help you. Sounds like he’s had lads breaks before so this will be no different. If you’re freaking out about your meds, that’s something else entirely. More to the point, he will be around for when you actually start your meds, so can support & respond to any reactions you may or may not get. Don’t get hung up on covid or anything else - latest strains are very mild and they’ll test you before administering the meds anyway. Easy and flippant to say, but you need to chill :sunglasses:
Graeme

1 Like