Registered disabled???

Hi, just a quick question… I’m asking for some help from my local council, which is available if you are registered disabled. I’m on DLA and use a blue badge, does this mean I’m ‘registered’ as disabled? When filling in forms I usually tick the disabled box but the word ‘registered’ has confused me a bit…

Yep, you got it right!

luv POllx

I think I read someplace that to be reistered as disabled you have fill in some forms and register with your council


Hi, from what I know, there is no such thing as a ‘register’ of disabled. I think the term is a hangover from the past when there might have been some kind of register. It’s very confusing esp when local councils etc still use the term and disabled people are all wondering how they can get registered!

Usually if you are receiving DLA it is enough to show you are disabled, and many things like blue badge, disabled railcard, taxi cards etc require proof that you are on high mobility DLA. So it sounds to me as if you will definitely fall into the ‘disabled’ group.

Very often a letter from your GP saying you are disabled will suffice.

Mark may well be right that you can register somehow with local council.

Pat x

I’ve also at times wondered what ‘Registered Disabled’ is supposed to mean. I have never really had a satisfactory answer.

The best explanation I have had is something like: There is no such thing as a register of disabled people, but perhaps there was once. This makes sense to me as it would be impossible to keep such a thing up to date and accurate and ‘disability’ is such a broad classification. After all, if a person has an artificial leg but their range of movement is in no way impaired, is that person disabled? Would that person want to be classified disabled? If that person does a desk job, is the artificial leg even relevant?

There are of course those who have some kind of disability but don’t claim DLA or those who have claimed DLA but are now well. So I don’t think DLA could be considered as a ‘disabled register’.

People who are blind or who have a visual impairment can register with their local council if they wish. This is of course only one ‘disability’.

I think the question ‘are you registered disabled?’ Is a well meaning question that still appears on many application forms, perhaps the question should read ‘Do you have a disability?’ But then again what does that mean? I don’t know.

Interesting question Tay, I’ll be interested to read replies.


Hi Mark, thats a new one on me. When I applied for my blue badge way back in 1999, I asked about a register for disabled` and i was told that if you have a blue badge or get DLA, then you are on this unseen register.

Unless things have changed, that`s how I see it.

luv Pollx

There used to be a register, nationwide, you used to get a green (I think it was, card), however it was deemed discriminatory and abolished. Some councils do still keep a register but do not have to. So the best thing would be to contact your local council and get them to explain what they require (as it is their form they should know! although my local council still have forms that say registered disabled, yet have no register and were completely unaware of what they themselves actually would want) they eventually decided that if you ‘consider’ yourself disabled, then you are! very strange answer. I’ve found DLA, blue badge and disabled rail card enough!


Years ago you were issued with a card and a registration number, I think it had something to do with if you were looking for work, cos by law a large Company had to prove they employed so many “disabled people”.

With our local council, their policy is that if you consider yourself disabled, then you are, which I personally think is an open invitation to abuse. But then, that is only my opinion.


Thanks for the replies, looks like I’m not the only one unsure… Think I will just tick the box & see what the response is. Thanks, Carriex

I recently applied for a disabled bus pass and a cinema card (one of those get your carer in for free thingies) Both these needed a copy of DLA award. I see where Bill is coming from with his comments about DLA but it’s all we have. If people are claiming DLA who have got better it’s fraud and we shouldn’t let it devalue the award for the rest of us. Local councils can’t commit the funds required to investigate “disabledness” and it is totally pointless when another government body is already doing it.


I can’t be the only one to be very confused, and concerned, by the Coalition Government’s proposed changes to ESA and DLA? With particular reference to ESA, one proposal I have seen is that it is restricted to 1 year (by the end of March 2012 I will have been on it for 1 year and on current conditions it runs for a 2nd year). What happens at the end of the 1st year if it is then stopped (or what happens in March next year when my 2nd year is up)? £157 a week paid fortnightly isn’t much, but the ESA, my DLA and the child benefit my wife receives are our only income to feed 4 of us (including 2 teenage children) and pay the bills - those ‘unavoidable’ ones like electricity, gas and water take almost 20% of what we receive each month. What are we supposed to live on in the future? We hardly spend a penny on ourselves as it is, apart from things for the children (the letter home announcing an impending school trip always fills us with dread). Does anyone have any information that I have missed?

ESA itself doesn’t end after one year (or maybe 2 ) it is contribution based ESA that has a time limit. After the time limit you would be eligible for means tested ESA.

For many people who have a working partner, private pension or savings this usually means that they will stop getting any money. As ESA is your only income (DLA is not counted) you would continue to get payments.

To make sure that you are getting all the benefits that your family is entitled to you can check yourself at

This is one of those things that I can easily get confused over.

As an OAP, I cannot get DLA (or any of the things that go with it).
My sole proof of disability is my Blue Badge.
If Anonymous is right (see above) the any letter (eg from Neuro to GP) that says that I have MS, should be proof that I am disabled - but it is very vague.

Disability is not something that I have had to prove (application for the Blue Badge itself, apart). An application for Attendance Allowance just needed a multi-page form, and a check with one of the medicos.

Time will tell,


Hi, I know I’m replying to a five year old post. But just a few thoughts. The notion of being registered disabled went out with the 1996 Disability Discrimination Act I believe, because it was thought discriminatory so there is no register for being disabled in the UK.

However when you are getting stuff cheaper because of a disability then you can be asked to prove that you have a disability, particularly if you are booking something online. Some times, ie at the BBC proms, Picturehouse cinemas and at the Arsenal Football Club, and other places which all have reduced rates for people with disabilities, your carer or enabler gets in free, so it is a good deal.

The BBC Proms, or Picturehouses I think, don’t ask for proof, but AFC does.

In other countries, like France, Spain etc etc, that do have a registered disabled system, if you want to get cheaper deals to go to football, concerts, galleries, museums, etc they just ask to see your disability card and in you go free or at a reduced rate. It’s more difficult if you are from the UK, you can wave your stick, drive up in your mobility scooter, show a blue badge etc, but it is difficult and relies on the decision of the person in the box office and your language skills.

I’m applying for tickets for the 2018 World Cup, and they want proof of disability - tickets are much cheaper for those with disabilities. I’ll email a pdf with proof of disability, ie a letter from my GP, but I’m not sure if that will work. The website does say that a blue badge parking permit is not proof of disability.

I’m now applying to to get a card proving I have a disability, but that’s an informal scheme, and it might not be accepted everywhere.It looks sort of authoritative, but it doesn’t give me any additional rights of access.

I know the EU were working on a European scheme to show disability, but that is not up and running yet, unfortunately.

If anyone has used the did-card scheme, or the other scheme called access, ,then I’d love to hear what they think.


Thanks for the new post.

My local theatre accepted my blue badge to register me so my carer goes free. Now I’m on the system I can rebook over the phone.

Disabled railcard and cinema CEA card needed a copy of my PIP award letter.

Haven’t heard of either of those cards, someone may be able to answer your question.


I am registered disabled with my county council. They use this info for support, housing and library planning

1 Like

That’s interesting - which council is that ?

It’s also interesting that we all have different ways of proving we are disabled - blue badge, benefit claiming, doctor’s letter - which shows we need to prove we have a disability. But nothing’s seems designed for that purpose. Also whatever method one uses it doesn’t help outside the UK, apart from car parking that is.

I thought the registered disabled category was discriminatory, so I supported getting rid of it. Now I’m not so sure.