Refused interview for promotion

I’ve just been told that I could not have an interview for promotion. I was previously a manager at a gp surgery. But due to having to do the work of two people and being put under huge amounts of stress by one of the business partners I ended up seeing Occupational Health who recommended that I be moved from this. I ended up in a boring job in another surgery which is part of the group on half the salary. A position came up where I am now as assistant manager which is a job I did before coming manager. But I was told that I couldn’t even be interviewed because of the OH report. They couldn’t take a risk that I might have to take time off etc. I can kind of understand their reasons but I’m so mad that they won’t even consider me for a job that I’ve done before and coped with. I feel like I’ve been written off. Does a OH report follow you if you apply for any other job?

I think that they are on shaky ground - particularly if they accepted that there were specific and one-off reasons for your having had to step back from the senior job in the past - reasons which, in themselves, called into question their duty of care to you at the time.

But there is no doubt that the ‘duty of care’ thing can cut both ways, and no doubt that is the argument they would try to use now, even if you know full well that they thing they don’t want is the hassle of somebody going off long-term sick!

What does the OH report say? Unless it says that you should avoid stressful situations for ever after (which I doubt) then it is unlikely to support their approach. Have you asked them what would need to happen for you to be considered a potentially suitable candidate? I suspect that they know quite well that their approach is not readily defensible. But, alas, having right on your side is not always enough.

Good luck.

Alison

Can you ask to have another Occ Health Ass? If they say you are now fit enough to resume original position then surely they can’t refuse you an interview. Good luck Jan x

to be blunt

your employers have found a way of not promoting you, namely the OH report. This report gets the employer nicely off the hook re discrimination.

unless you can convince OH that you’re capable of doing the managers job and they do another report you’ll never be promoted there.

time to move on?

[quote=“zetland”]

to be blunt

your employers have found a way of not promoting you, namely the OH report. This report gets the employer nicely off the hook re discrimination.

unless you can convince OH that you’re capable of doing the managers job and they do another report you’ll never be promoted there.

time to move on?

[/quote] Yep, that’s my thoughts as well. But at 52 and with MS, easier said then done. No harm in looking though. I’ve lots of experience so maybe someone, somewhere would give me a chance. If worse comes to the worse, I stick it out for another 3 years and then take early retirement. Lynne

If you retired at 55 wouldn’t you be taking a reduction in the pension you would have received had you worked till the retirement age? Just something to consider. Jan