Forum

Radioactive Iodine for Hyperthyroidism

I am worried about my son having radioactive Iodine for Hyperthyroidism caused by Campath, has any body had this treatment, and if so did it help :(.

I was given the option a few years ago but chose to treat mine with medication as we could still get it back to within the normal range. It seemed very drastic and final to me, to kill the thyroid gland off altogether with radioactive iodine. My concern would be whether his thyroid function would recover after the Campath?

However, I know a couple of people who have had it done successfully and they are both just taking thyroxin for life and are quite well but they don’t have MS.

Best of luck to your son.

Hi I was dx with an over active thyroid in 1989. Had radioactive thyroid drink in 1990 and been under active thyroid since. Taken thyroxine since. Dx ms 2003. Had no thyroid problems since controlled by drugs. Been on free prescriptions due to thyroid. Take care Neil

Thanks for replies Niel and Val, they have been unable to control it unfortunately, it was up and down, when it was up he was in a terrible state, could hardly stand. Anyhow it’s done now so we will have to see how it goes :slight_smile: at least they should be able to get the right dose of thyroxin now. I wonder how and if it will effect the MS though.