possible scam on Facebook

Hi,

When scanning the adverts that come up on the side of the Facebook page, this one looked interesting so I clicked on it http://www.ms-healthuniversity.com/multiple-sclerosis-online-seminar-registration/

It’s an advert for an online seminar that discusses how you can stop or even reverse the disease progression. BS detectors went totally loopy! How dare they play on the fact that many people with MS are inclined to clutch at straws like this? I don’t know how they’re going to do it, but I’m pretty sure it’s a scam. They even try the “spaces are limited so book now” line - how can spaces be limited for an online seminar?

Grrr, this type of thing really annoys me!

Luisa x

Luisa,

Here’s some really evil chancers out there I’m on Facebook all the time and really love it but I never click on an add I was told by a good friend never to click on or like an ad but I understand when you see something like thats so close to how you feel its hard there not so many with MS that wouldn’t thanks for letting us know to stay away from that ad.

Mark x

I bought a book from Sue Ellen Dickenson who promised she beat the symptoms of MS and there is a connection between her and Dr Rudy Cartwright whose advert you saw. They are always pushing their seminars and they are upfront and say they are not cheap!. Could never understand why there were limited spaces and you have made a good point about this. I did some research last year and struggled to find anything negative about Dr. Cartwright though. Most of what he talks about, you will probably already be familiar with, so we have to be on our guard as its not the sort of thing you could get NHS funding for. Good shout Luisa. All the best, Peter

I think there is an option to report the ads- if you click on the X in the top right hand corner of the advert to remove it, you will be aksed for feedback, can’t remember all options (know there is def. one that says the ad is offensive, may also be option re: something to do with scam/hoax??) -x-

Guess that your BS detector is working quite well, Luisa.

I think that I would use the term Snake Oil.

These sorts of things are quite legal in the US. Just remember that they have a different sort of health provision over there, so that offering what they do is OK. You are not paying for the advice - that comes free - buit for being able to hear it and see it on your screen.

And for anyone reading this, look at what they offer: How to get rid of your symptoms. This may or may not be true, but you can bet a lot of money that a lawyer has checked the wording out very carefully; just look at the words at the bottom of the opening page.

Caveat Emptor applies - and just think how much of your band-width allowance you will use attending this “seminar”.

Geoff

Hi folks, thanks for your replies. Peter, I believe that Dr Cartwright is legitimate, but who’s to say this is actually him on the advert? Jess, I deleted the advert from my page and ticked the “misleading” box when it came up - you never know, it might make a difference.

Luisa x

Hi Luisa

What FB page were you on when you saw the ad?

Greg [admin]

Hi Greg, I was on my own home page - it was in the adverts that come up on the right hand side - I think these are tailored according to your “likes” and I have liked the CCSVI page so I see a few MS related things, this is the first one I clicked on though.

Luisa

One thing I’ve been told is a scam are websites claiming people have been misdiagnosed with MS due to aspartame poisoning. Aspartame is an artificial sweetener found in fizzy drinks.