portacath

does anyone know what a portacath is?

i have a friend with ms who has just had one fitted.

i suppose i should ask her but i’d like to know beforehand

carole x

Hi carole

From what i gather, its like a littleish port placed under your skin which goes directly into a vein. so when you have a drip or anything like that it can go into that without all the trauma of people trying to find veins and poking you with needles a million time.s

I know a lady on a Tysabri site I am on has just had one fitted also as she has big difficulties when it comes to the monthly infusion as her veins arent great. in fact i would jump at the chance for one - my last infusion they tried 11 times to get a line in - indcluding in my foot - i try to man-up, but it gets you feeling quite anxious about needles even when you werent before. Although I dont know how it owuld feel to have something there permanently. good luck to your friend with hers.

Not a great explanation - but its my version of one!

xx

spot on hayley. i saw her today and asked about it. she is in quite a bit of discomfort but needs it for her tysabri infusions.

good luck with it xxxx

spot on hayley. i saw her today and asked about it. she is in quite a bit of discomfort but needs it for her tysabri infusions.

good luck with it xxxx

I was diagnosed with MS 2 years ago

I use to take Ocravis but found out I am highly allergic to it so iv been switched to tysabri

Ever since I was a kid I have always been a very hard stick for blood work and IVs

So with the switch to new infusion that’s required every month my doctors found it best and less stressful to have a port put in

Every time I had get an infusion it take anywhere from 4-7 sicks before got a line started

At end of this month I will be getting my first infusion with the port. I am both excited and nervous because the special needles used to asses a port is very intimidating…

I don’t know how long I’ll have it but I’m sure been for few years since iv always been a bad stick and also because if tysobri keeps going well for me there’s no need to take it out.