Forum

PIP-a-dee- doo-dah!

Here’s a story with a happy ending- I was due to go to see the nice people from ATOS today for my PIP interview.

The weather being foul and me never finding transfers into and out of the car easy in the cold and wet, Ruth rang up to see if we could cancel, and if possible have a rearranged appointment at home. Well, we could cancel, no problem, and enquiries would be made about a home visit. Woo-hoo! Result!

Imagine our surprise when the phone rang again half an hour later, with an ATOS nurse checking us out about a home visit. After various questions she decided that no interview would be required, and waved me straight through. Woo-hoo-hoo!! Double result!! Turns out she was an ex MS nurse so knew the territory.

Now, I know I’ve been dead lucky, but it goes to show that a phone call or two can smooth the way. Ruthy is great at being sweetly reasonable but persistent. Very persistent.

8 Likes

Love it KeV…and well done Ruth

Pam x

1 Like

That’s good news I can’t wait for my review.

Don

2 Likes

Yip-a-dee-yeh!! My-Oh-My what a wonderful day!

2 Likes

I’ve had mine done at home twice now, The first time it was a lovely lady who had been an MS and also a Cancer nurse, she was so kind and didn’t attempt to make me do anything, which was good. Its always worth asking, and explaining about the ordeal and how hard it would be for you.

Michelle

2 Likes

Well done Kev, I’m really pleased for you!

Hope mine goes as well when it’s comes!

take care,

Nina x

2 Likes

WOW!!! Well done Kev!!!

Pat xx

2 Likes

Thanks all!

What I forgot to say was the ATOS nurse said that she’d looked at my form and all the reams of stuff I sent with it (consultants dx’s, care plans, repeat prescriptions etc) and was wondering why I had been asked to interview in the first place. I have the feeling that she was the first person to actually LOOK at my claim. Surely they could save £millions if they just read first and phoned GPs and consultants for confirmation.

3 Likes

That’s great Kev! The dreaded DLA to PIP transfer. I just got a letter warning I’m about to get a form to do the transfer, so am contacting gp, consultant, physio and Uncle Tom cobbly for letters to send with form. I don’t know if DWP realise that with secondary progressive it is only one way-rather a wasted effort all round. Congrats to you, and I’m keeping fingers crossed that I’m as fortunate. Dawn

3 Likes

That’s because, if the DWP had looked at your claim first, that they would actually have to do some thinking. And some work. Chris Grayling left the department in the same state as he found it.

Civil Service Rules OK!

3 Likes

I think that’s the way to go when applying for any benefits…send them EVERYTHING! I send neuro letters going back to when I was first dx & everything else I can lay my hands on.

Haven’t gone over to PIP yet but only a matter of time!

Pat xx

2 Likes

Well done that woman, common sense prevails.

Jan x

3 Likes

Great news. Like many of you I’m dreading the DLA/PIP change over but you’ve given me hope that it won’t be as bad as I imagine. Really pleased for you Kev, goes to show that money can be saved if the people doing the assessments have some understanding of the conditions the claimants have.

Cath x

2 Likes

This is majorly amazing news Kev!

I am so chuffed for you

Polxx

3 Likes

Fantastic news, congratulations. I’m waiting for the transfer from DLA to pip and am collecting evidence already.

1 Like

Congratulations… pleased it worked out so well for you. Well done Ruth, a quiet persistence usually moves mountains.

Reading the posts has prompted me to gather medical evidence. I wasn’t aware that a home visit was a choice, for some reason I thought the assessors were insistent upon each claimant attending an interview (no matter how unreasonable this demand is). Also good to read that some of the assessors have medical experience. I was under the wrong impression that the assessors were young admin trainees who ticked the black and white boxes with no grey area options.

Ah well, I had a letter last week telling me I’ll need to complete an application form.within the next couple of years (initially it was to be before end October 2015).

1 Like

One 'phone call eh! So ATOS isn’t all darkness and doom after all.

Well done Kev, it’s encouraging to read an account like yours.

Thanks for posting it.

Ben

1 Like