Parts of the brain.

I posted on here a few days ago & thank you all for your replies. I’m undiagnosed. Apparently the reason why I have issues with my speech is because the inflammation was in that area & my neuro told me if I get hot etc it can be affected. I actually find it’s affected most of the time. I have also noticed that my handwriting doesn’t flow like it use to. Does anyone know if this is in the same part of the brain that speech is? I have to guess like this because he says I don’t need another MRI & I had the last one in January.

This is complete guesswork and based on only a little knowledge that I picked up during my Psychology degree (so it’s probably very far from perfect!!!).

Language is processed by multiple parts of the brain and, although the right half of the brain contributes, most of the work is done in the left hemisphere. Two language areas have been named after the people who discovered their importance: Broca and Wernicke. Broca’s area is important for producing language (speech and writing). Wernicke’s area is important for understanding language. If someone has a lesion in Broca’s area, their understanding is fine, but they may have problems with speaking and writing. If someone has a lesion in Wernicke’s area, their speech is fine, but they may have problems with making sense when speaking.

Broca’s area is in the frontal lobe. Wernicke’s area is in the temporal lobe. I’m afraid I can’t remember where more precisely.

So, perhaps your lesion is in or near Broca’s area?

It’s not quite as simple as that of course - a lot of areas are involved in language and a lesion in any bit (or in the bits in between) could cause a problem.

Hope it helps anyway.

Karen x

This looks good: http://thebrain.mcgill.ca/flash/d/d_10/d_10_cr/d_10_cr_lan/d_10_cr_lan.html

Kx

Wow, you’ve impressed me!

You should be a neuro, do a better job at explaining things that they do!

I know my 2 lesions were on the left handside and they were close to eachother and what you said makes sense. I have no problem with understanding or finding words, just my head thinks faster than my mouth will say the words. I make sense when i speak but either my mouth can’t keep up with my brain or my sentences do not flow at the correct rhythm, e.g the tone of the sentence and emphasising certain parts of sentences. I know that the original inflamation was the size of a cherry and it left behind 2 lesions which appeared to be smaller when i went back for another mri after a month after the 1st attack. I’m assuming my right hand became completely diasbled because of that area as well that must be close to speech and writing etc. I haven’t looked at your link yet but i will do, thank you very much x

I hope the speech and writing gets better, am i right in thinking it can take up to 2 years to improve if it’s going to?

Hmm. More speculation coming…(!)

Your right hand becoming disabled wouldn’t be Broca’s area. I would guess that the lesion was actually near the motor cortex (the control centre for movement). “Cortex” means the gray matter of the brain, the stuff that does all the processing and encoding - basically the “thinking”. White matter is the stuff that carries the signals between different parts of gray matter.

Broca’s area must have strong links with the bit of the motor cortex that controls the hand we write with - that means that there is a white matter pathway running between these areas. A lesion anywhere along that pathway would affect Broca’s area, but I would have thought it would only interfere with using the hand for speech-related things and not other tasks. So perhaps the cherry-sized lesion was enough to disrupt the pathway to Broca’s area AND the pathway between the motor cortex and the nerves for controlling your hand generally. The two remaining lesions clearly don’t affect the general controls as much, but they must be sufficient to leave those residual symptoms.

It’s possible to keep improving from relapses for maybe 18 months or so, maybe longer. What’s happening is that the brain is trying to repair the damage, but it is also building a diversion around the damage (using other areas to compensate as well as well as building new pathways). You can help the brain to make these new connections by doing lots of practice. So don’t avoid the things that are difficult - do them more! Hopefully, the practice will reinforce the new pathways and you’ll find things improve faster.

Kx

Thanks Karen, your fantastic.

My right hand is fine now, it does feel slightly different but theres nothing i can’t do with it, my wrist didnt move either and thats fine now. Not long after it happened last November i did have terrible pain in it, but i believe that was the repairing process, i haven’t got it anymore now.

As for my speech, right after the attack it pretty much cleared up and got better, but since May it’s been consistantly the same, im still hoping for some improvement (please!). To be honest with my handwriting, because i took so much time off work i wasn’t writing at all, but now i’m back at work i have noticed it, so really i have only been writing for about 3 months, but only short notes. It doesn’t flow properly and i can’t form some of my letters correctly.

Here’s hoping!

Thank you so much for helping me out x

Hi Anonymous

For some quick writing therapy, practice with some really sharp pencils (2B is ideal). They are much faster than a pen, so you have to control them more; this will mean going slowly at first. If the point breaks off, you were pressing too hard. When you can write a short note that looks good to you and that other people can read easily, then you are getting somewhere, and you can now speed up.

Geoff (who has 6 sharp pencils on his desk right now)