Not Trigeminal Neuralgia

After 4 days of pain and not being able to eat or drink, I made an emergency appointment with my dentist. I had convinced myself that I had Trigeminal Neuralgia because of where the pain was. Plus I had a dental checkup recently. The sense of relief when he told me it was an infected nerve in my tooth was immense as it was ‘fixable’. Not too often that a dentist can impart good news.

What he also told me was that it was a fairly common occurrence especially in older teeth with a lot of fillings. So the moral of this story is don’t panic (like me) before you have to and don’t put everything down to MS if something isn’t right.

Happy New Year (well it is now).

1 Like

I went through exactly the same process as you 3 years ago now. The pain was unbearable, I couldn’t manage to lift my head off the pillow, and I was taking painkillers like sweets! (Not something I do!) I was convinced it was Trigeminal Neuralgia. :frowning: I went back to my rubbish dentist 3 times and they failed to spot that it was actually an abscess!

(I managed to find myself a decent “wheelchair accessible dentist” eventually! )

Such a relief to finally find the root cause of the pain. (pardon the pun)

Elaine

1 Like