Forum

Not knowing how to stay positive is so destructive

Have rrms and can’t seem to get my head round what a relapse is, whether I’m in one , on way out of one or whether going on for ages n ages means it’s turning to spms. Have been very anxious and fatigued for a few months now, prior to that been anxious with regular aches n pains and dread for a year or so. Married n relocated last year, anxious since then. Symptoms vary from plain tiredness to extreme fatigue, muscle spasms and stiffness restricting mobility, sensory head and neck pain and stiffness, agonising but fleeting neuralgia, irritable bowel, backache and heat intolerance. Am wondering whether anxiety n depression can cause all this or prolong a relapse, or whether a recent uti has caused a pseudo relapse or my nervous system has had a minor breakdown ? What do you guys think? Anyone in a similar position?

Hi Wanda,

Well in my experience, the last uti I had completly wiped me out for ages I can relate to all of your symptoms. I take anti-depressants which have levelled me out. I am not on a high dose, but it has taken the edge away from all these worrying thoughts. I am on Lyrica which help with my leg spasms but agonising neuralgia is a differant game altogther and I have never got that symptom under control.

I am having a relapse at the moment, with severe double vision where I have just undergone 4 days of steroids. I have been told by my MS Nurse that this is what a relapse is, but all our listed symptoms are real.

I hope this helps a little

Take care

CazM

Thanx caz for you comments, uti prob more of a prob than I realised, good luck with your current situation, hope you’re on the way out of it all soon. X

Hi Wanda

I’ve got a uti at the moment, and they always make me weaker & more tired. But it can be really tricky to stay positive when we’ve got all the ongoing messages from our bodies reminding us of our weaknesses & pains, and that, on one level at least, things really aren’t that positive.

There are things that can help though. One thing I do a lot is to fake smile. When we smile & laugh our brains release ‘happy chemicals’ that helps lift our mood. But our brains do this even if we’re only pretending to smile. So if I notice if I’m feeling down or stressed or am frowning a lot, then I lift my brow and just smile for a couple of minutes, and it always seems to help a bit. Interestingly, i heard about a study involving a group of clinically depressed patients. They were all given botox injections in their foreheads to stop them frowning, and for all of them it pretty much sorted out their depression.

Another thing to do is to find those things that energise you or feel like they really nurture your soul somehow, and make a point of regularly doing those things. I have a journal where at the end of the day or week I look back at the things where I felt alive or really enjoyed etc. And then I also think about the things that did the opposite, that really drained me etc. I’ve noticed over time that similar things come out of it. So I know that getting in touch with nature somehow is always good for me, even if it’s just looking at the clouds for 15 minutes. And doing something expressive is good too, whether that’s journalling or drawing or something.

And I know that just watching telly all night can leave me feeling unfulfilled. So I know that, if I have a free evening, chances are it’s going to be better for me to write something than it is to watch mindless telly all night.

Hope that helps.

Dan