Nortriptyline advice please

Hi guys. I went to my gp tonight about my leg tightness and heaviness and stiffness. He agreed with my ms nurse that it’s not a relapse but my whole leg from my bum to my foot being in spasm from the muscles locking. I have strength and power and movement which is good as when I first had an episode I lost it all. He has given,me nortriptyline 10mg at night to take. He feels I should recover although I have had the 3 weeks. It feels like I am walking on a tennis ball on the sole of my foot! My leg feels like a lead weight and is both numb and hypersensitive at the same time. Is anyone else on this drug? Anyone had side effects? I am a bit scared to take it before asking anyone. Thankyou. Dawn x

Hi Dottydoo,

I tried Nortriptylene a couple of years ago to relieve pain. I was working at the time and driving the short distance to work each day. If I took small enough doses to allow me to drive - didn’t relive pain. When I increased dose, it made me very dizzy - too dizzy to drive. Still didn’t relieve pain and sadly it never (regardless of dose) resolved the tightness in the right leg muscles that made walking so tough (…sitting down seemed to help - thus driving was do-able!!).

I’m so sorry this feedback is probably most unhelpful, but it’s purely my personal experience.

Over 15 years with MS, I’ve learned that the condition can be as individual as the person it affects, and what works for one person doesn’t necessarily work for someone else.

Someone else will - I’m sure - be along to report a totally positive experience of Nortriptylene.

Meantime, I do hope you find something that works for YOU !!

Dom