Forum

non-contributing disabled people

Allo. Just thought about summat and thought I`d post my thoughts to see things in a different way.

Some say disabled people are a drain on society. We contribute nil. We are scroungers. Well how about this food for thought for them who agree with such nonsense.

I am disabled.

I use an electric wheelchair…a profiling bed, a riser recliner.

I need to use a shower daily.

I have nurses call to change my catheter.

I employ 3 carers.

Now if I needed none of those things, it would mean the man who made my wheelchair, bed, shower, catheters would be out of work…or work part time.

My carers, nurses, neuro, GP, pharmacist, would be short of work.

Okay, there are others needing these services, but just think how many disabled use them daily.

I (we) are not so pointless afterall, eh?

pollx

4 Likes

Poll, I think the ‘economic contribution’ argument is a dangerous one because if you run the numbers you won’t like the answer. In economic contribution terms, we are (on balance) an unadulterated bloody nuisance, and there’s no use pretending otherwise. In economic terms, those caring people who are paid to look after you and the wonderful NHS staff who have been looking after me in the day-case unit in the hospital all morning with their usual wonderful cheerful, kind professionalism would be far better engaged in productive endeavour that actual generated wealth rather than (again, on balance) absorbing it. Lucky us, that society values these things not entirely in economic terms.

Much better to remind ourselves (and everyone else!) that we contribute to our families and our communities in other ways, I think - then we’re on much safer ground!

Alison

4 Likes

contribute to our families and communities in other ways ?

what,

like paying to have my hair done…buying clothes…buying food…buying presents for my families and friends,…etc. So I guess I am glad we live in a welfare society!

pollx

1 Like

Some disabled people aren’t able to make any meaningful contribution. That doesn’t mean that there lives should not be valued. Those unfortunate enough to suffer from a disability tend to be less able to contribute than those who do not. That’s just the luck of the draw. Society should be willing to provide a livable income to those unable to work because we know how unfair these things can be, and that people have not chosen to fall ill just to irritate Ian Duncan Smith.

2 Likes

Well said.

Plus the 34 years tax and NI contributions.

And I must keep our local chemist.

Ronin.

4 Likes

Must disagree, we help to keep unemployment down and therefore benefits, and these people also have wages which generate income tax, also have more disposable income to spend which creates more jobs and generates tax on the profit from those goods, tax on fuel to transport those good. Probably lots more.

Boudica has it right.

Ronin

2 Likes

And their ESA is still taxed, so in fact you’ve paid enough NI plus you’ve been taxed already on. your wages and are still taxed more on most goods and services except those that are zero rated,so you contribute without moving from the sofa! in fact I’m sure I contribute in my sleep, not even including council tax,If all my tax is not meaningful I’d like it back!

2 Likes

I am volunteering so I contribute in that way, not well enough to work in paid employment. Did pay Tax and NI for around 20 years before becoming unwell with MS.

I try not to buy from Amazon if there is an alternative, though I hear they are paying a little more tax now or soon will be. Surprisingly I have found a good UK company that sells home medical things (like urine test sticks) cheaper than Amazon and includes free postage.

2 Likes

It was only four years ago I had a well paid job and said goodbye to £900 per month in tax and NI…well NOW need I back!

I worked for 33 bloody years…MY MONEY taken every month.

It’s OUR money!

3 Likes

Thank you to all who replied.

I`m glad you agreed with what I said and felt Alison had got it a bit skewiff!

pollx

1 Like

[quote=“Florence”]

It was only four years ago I had a well paid job and said goodbye to £900 per month in tax and NI…well NOW need I back!

I worked for 33 bloody years…MY MONEY taken every month.

It’s OUR money!

[/quote] please lets not forget that many of us will have bought are own house big or small & sold them’

i’m sure the ones i’v had the TAX man had a chunk,Oh & then the divorce (primarily because i was no longer

able to earn the very good ££££ that bought (with TAX) cars, horses, & lots of, ect.ect.,

& now i want some to MR F$^=n TAX man

Oh thats made me feel good!! GGRRRR , angrywinkjulien, xx

And while we are on the subject of scroungers … do a quick google search on “Betsygate”, and then on ID-S.

Geoff

1 Like

poll, totally disagree with you.

There is something not right about categorising people in terms of being contributors or non-contributors to society be they disabled or not.

5 Likes

they werent my chosen words…I agree with you!

Although I did title my post as non-contributing etc, the phrase came from elsewhere.

pollx

No worries, Poll, my shoulders are broad.

A

1 Like

xxxxx

pollx

1 Like

[quote=“juju 67”]

I forgot, all the VAT I paid, the tax on insurance, council tax, tax on mst food, they even tax a bloody haircut!

1 Like

Tax on house repairs, tax on car repairs, tax on clothes, even vet bills…the can’t even be gracious to ou pets!

It’s our money alright!

1 Like

Thanks for a very lively discussion folks. I’ve really enjoyed it.

Shows that this forum can allow folks to vent views, thoughts, moans, worries, etc safely. We need to sometimes - don’t we.

More power to us I say!!

2 Likes

My ESA has its deductions worked out before I pay tax on my pension. So I have deductions made on money I don’t receive because the government receive it in tax. My mp james wharton (no capitals he doesn’t deserve them) tells me it’s too complicated to work out after tax deductions! It’s a very small amount of money but it still has me INCANDESCENT with rage every time I think about it. He thinks he’s down with the boys of Westminster unfortunately he’s just their northern lackey who follows the party line.

Jan x

1 Like