Forum

Newly diagnosed...help

Hi, I am new to the forum. I was diagnosed with MS 2 days ago, it was sort of unexpected as I am a nurse and everyone I look after with MS is so disabled I couldnt identify with it. I have a husband (student) and 5 sons (12, 10, 8, 3 and 1) and I am supposed to be starting midwifery training in 10 days. I’ve left my job to start at uni and now I really dont know what to do. My only symptoms are right eye pain and occasional slight blurred vision, tingling in one hand and a numb left foot so I imagine I will cope with the course at the moment but I don’t know if they will still have me if I tell them. Treatmentwise i’m starting on copaxone (I think) in 4 weeks, neurologist wanted me to start straight away but i’m breastfeeding and want to wean him first. I have 1 large lesion and smaller ones and she said ‘not much’ is being transmitted through my optic nerve although my vision doesn’t bother me. Sorry for rambling but I feel a bit lost…no job…no insurance…huge mortgage…5 kids…

Hi mama5. Sorry about your diagnosis. It must have been a shock. As I’m sure most people here will tell you, ms affects everyone differently and you might find that you have no problems completing your training. As you feel that you would be able to cope with the demands of the course as you are now, I would say go for it. You could end up kicking yourself if you decide to halt your plans and then realise in a few years that you would have been able to do it! I’m not sure if there are specific rules for midwifery but unis generally wouldn’t be able to deny you a place because you have ms. I would check with yours when you feel able to have the conversation. I hope you are able to get some answers. It sounds like you have an awful lot to think about x

Hi and welcome to the forum. I’m sorry about your dx but it sounds like you’ve had a quick diagnosis, which in turn means you can get the full support and medication you need. MS symptoms have a wide spectrum but maybe as a nurse you’ve only had exposure to the more extreme cases. I too am learning that an ms diagnosis isn’t the end of the world by any means. There are many ms-ers who carry on throughout their working lives doing their job as well as they ever did. From what you have said about your symptoms, there is no reason to make any change of plan about your course. You could always mention your dx IF you feel you want to, incase the people running it need to make any allowances (eg for late attendance etc for medical appointments) 5 boys and starting a midwifery course??? You’ve certainly got your hands full so you’re probably someone who is used to coping in busy/stressful situations! MS is just another challenge thrown your way and once you’ve got over the shock of dx I hope you’ll take it in your stride too. Don’t underestimate the shock impact of the dx. The thoughts and worries you are having are completely normal and I’d be surprised to find anyone who’s had the same dx who hasn’t had the overwhelming fears and thoughts. Believe me they will ease. With Best Wishes Jane xx

Thanks for your kindness, I think i’m really trying to hold it together for the boys, we don’t talk about it in front of them. I will see if my symptoms progress and only tell them if I honestly think I can’t cope with the demands of the course. Looking back i’ve had symptoms for about 5 years (i’m 33) but ignored them and only saw my GP last October with what I now realise was optic neuritis and facial numbness. I’ve had lots of hot flushes and realise they too can be a symptom of MS. Neurologist didn’t give me much info, I was only in there for 10mins, I can’t remember much of what she said but I think she told me a MS nurse would contact me about treatment in 3-4 weeks xxx

Hi, well you have obviously thought and planned how you would manage a course which is gonna take a lot hard work and juggling life with a young family.

As you already manage quite well with your current symptoms, and may manage even better once you get the right meds, so why not go ahead with the course. I know it will have taken a lot of fighting for to get a place.

My daughter is 35 and is currently working a s PA to 3 paediatric consultants in a hospital.

her office was next to the labour ward and she got so involved, when doing some voluntary work there, that she would love to be a midwife.

She has looked into courses, pre-nursing too, found out how she would manage financially and got her head round it all. She has 2 children ages 11 and 4. She was all geared up to it and then her husband had an affair and they split up. It ended in divorce and now she is looking into midwifery again.

I hope your plans come to fruition.

pollxx

Hi there sorry to hear about your diagnosis, I was diagnosed in March and like you work in nursing and was shocked as I see some cases that really made me panic about the diagnosis, I’m 31 with 4 kids so can totally sympathise there, i would say don’t make any major decisions in these first weeks, it’s a hard time and I know as I quit my job shortly after diagnosis ( going down the path of feeling like i can’t be a mum, work AND have MS). The thing was my only symptoms were the numbness and tingling so it wasn’t like I couldn’t work I was just over thinking it, imagining worse case scenarios, I have since taken a new job and am trying to carry on as we were before. Don’t panic I guess is what I’m saying :slight_smile: