new diagnosis

Sorry, just read again what you said about your neuro’s comments - he or she seemed to be saying that there was some genetic susceptibility among the Celts. I haven’t heard that one before, but would not be at all surprised!

Alison

Hi Alison, and All,

Yes, I’m sure there’s evidence of a genetic link, not just geography. I’m sure I remember reading prevalence was significantly higher amongst those with a surname (maiden name, in the case of married women) beginning Mc or Mac (indicating Scottish origins) regardless where in the world they were born or lived.

Tina

x

Carol, I get the nerves shot …I got a disability scooter when I was still too weak to drive. I was even unable to hold out my arms to drive the scooter for another 3 months. The biggest thing that helped me was a Neurophysiotherapist who told me the harder I worked…the more I would regain…I still have episodes where I can get really fatigued and confused. I just stop, rest and regroup. Its easy to say, but if I panic it makes everyhing else worse. My fave phrase is keep on keeping on xx

Hi moyna, I had the same as you with the numbness and the foot drop but it came on me very slowly. It started in my toes and gradually worked up to my chest over months. I started to fall and trip over the slightest thing and could no longer drive as I completely lost the ability to move my feet. eventually I lost the ability to walk, but I could stand up so I knew my legs had some strength I just could not for the life of me take a step. Id lost sensation on my skin and couldn’t distinguish hot, cold, sharp or blunt and when I touched my skin it felt like I still had jeans on. My initial MRI did not provide enough lesions for MS so a LP was done during a hospital stay and this showed TM just below the neck. im not sure where and when to use the word progressive when talking about this subject as i think it means different things to different people. My use of it is to explain the progression I’ve experienced from TM to MS. My neuro says there are certain criteria that must be met to diagnose MS. I get the feeling that because I’ve experienced 3 relapses which have affected 3 different areas indicates multiple areas of demyelation hence the possibility of MS. I don’t know yet if its RR or Prog. TM and MS are very similar in their disabling symptoms and for me the TM diagnosis in 05 was only the start of neurological issues that keep arising. 3relapses in 3 years is nothing compared to some. It be interesting to know what and why the differences are so apparent yet so similar.

Hi Alison… I think your right about the vit d deficancy and being born and raised in Scotland where the sun is as rare as unicorn s##t i may have succumbed to its absence lol, but its never been apparent in any of my blood test. What I do have is pernicious aneamia and vit b12 deficancy for which I have a 3monthly injection and daily folic acid. There seems to be a lot more to vitamins than we know. My nana always insisted as kids we take a halib orange vitamin daily and I now use a multi vitamin with iron. Esther it helps or not I dont know but it may be the one thing keeping my d vitamins topped up.

I think I may have to adopt your fave saying Gill “keep on keeping on” is an accurate description of the mental state needed to beat this bloody thing and to understand it. X