Neurophysio vs MSK physio

Good morning, hope everyone’s doing OK. A few months ago, after a few weeks of knee problems (including hyperextension that I’ve had before), I had a phone appointment with my GP and she referred me to the neuro physio department that I’ve been going to since I was diagnosed 17 years ago. For some reason that referral has been rejected by the neuro physio team and they said I should see an MSK physio instead, which is at least a three month waiting list. Should I fight to get to see a neuro physio? The neuro physio I’ve seen before retired last year so I don’t have the personal connection to reach out to any more. Feeling a bit abandoned by the NHS at the moment.

Becky x

If you have a problem with hyperextension, look no further than a Fixed Swedish Knee Cage. It took about a year of wearing one, but sorted my problem and never needed to use it again.
Hyperextension can be a huge problem if left unchecked, because ligaments are not elastic and once stretched do not recover.

I got mine from the NHS and this is for illustration purposes only.
Fixed Swedish Knee Cage - Chaneco

I hope you get the physio support you need.

1 Like

Thanks Whammel, somebody’s suggested this before, I can’t remember if it was you? I didn’t realise that it was something that could fix hyperextension, I assumed that it was something that’d have to be used long term. This looks like a really good idea and I was hoping to ask a neuro physio about it because I use an FES and wanted to make sure that they were compatible. I’ve had hyperextension in this knee before which is why I’m so frustrated because I know I can fix it! Thanks again for your reply, I will definitely look into it. x

1 Like

If it helps, I wore an FES with the knee cage on top and it didn’t cause the slightest problem. The knee cage looks a bit cumbersome, but is perfectly comfortable and easy to wear.
Incidentally, it was suggested to me by a physio, so hopefully, yours will measure you up for one.
Some knee strengthening exercises help too, but you probably do those already.

1 Like

That’s really good to know, the FES has kept me walking for 17 years since diagnosis, I couldn’t give it up! I’ll take cumbersome over hyperextension any day, thanks again.

1 Like