Forum

Neuro opthamology???

Following another brain MRI scan and spine MRI scan my neuro consultant has booked me a neuro opthamology appointment at the eye hospital - I received a letter today with an appointment time - didn’t even realise that they were referring me for an appointment . I’m seeing the neuro consultant next week for a follow up appointment the day after seeing the rheumatologist. I’m guessing by the fact that an appointment has been made at the eye hospital that they found something on the MRI scan indicative of eye problems! Has anyone been referred for neuro opthamology and if so is it because there was an underlying eye disorder. I’ve had a look at the scans as I got a copy of them Wednesday after my spine MRI scan and after looking at them I’m pretty sure that I can see a lesion on the spine. Would be grateful if anyone can advise on the neuro opthamology part. Thanks in advance. (Also hope you are all doing as well as can be expected in this heat!!!)

I don’t know about neuro-ophthalmology I’m afraid Karina, hopefully somebody else will be able to help.

Did the neuro not mention the appointment to you at all? Maybe they found something on the scans, but also may be that they want to have the whole spectrum of testing done to see what’s happening as a baseline? I hope it all leads to some answers for you soon.

Laura x

Hiya Karina

I’ve seen the neuro-opthalmologist at the Walton Centre a few times. The only time I’ve been referred to her was when there was something going on with my eyes such as blurred or double vision. I’m not sure why they’ve referred you if you don’t have any issues with your eyes, maybe they just want you to get checked out.

I really wouldn’t worry too much, they don’t do anything nasty to you. If you want to know exactly why, give your neuros secretary a call and ask.

Sue

The neuro didn’t mention the appointment to me at all which is why I thought it was odd. Haven’t had blurred vision or double vision - just had bouts of dizziness and dry eyes but that’s it. Hmmm - will have to wait and see - just thought someone might have an idea. Thanks Laura and Sue for replying gratefully appreciated. Hugs to you both xx

I was referred to an opthamologist when I had and eye test last summer (thinking back, that’s when I first had problems that I couldn’t really explain). The opthamologist said I was fine and off I went BUT I’m not actually entirely sure why I was referred. I think I had problems doing that peritheral (sp?) vision test as they did it 3 times at the opticians. But there’s also glaucoma in the family and I did have vertigo!

My neurologist did point out my optic nerves when he was explaining my MRIs, so I guess they can maybe tell something from the MRI (he also pointed out there was some inflammation in my sinuses!). He also did several sight related tests, including that thing where he looked into my eyes with a light, I had to warn him that I might have a “freckle” in one eye but I’m not sure which one - I know this because one day an optician said to me “how funny, I can’t see your freckle today” - my GP sent me to hospital over the “clouding” in the back of my eye when I was about 13, from the snippets I rember, they thought I had a brain tumour! I had to spend a night hospital (with a migraine being woken every hour for tests), horrid! I do remember being seen by several doctors and consultants, quite a lot of drama over migraines I got every week and it seems it was quite thoroughly considered and dismissed by the optician.

Sorry I’m waffling a bit, my point is, don’t panic - I think there’s a lot of connection between your eyes and what goes on in there, they’re probably just being thorough.

Sonia x

Spinal lesions would not need an opthalmologist to be involved.

The nerve runs for vision are probably the shortest in the body, but there are a lot of them.
The muscles controlling the shape of the eye need nerves.
The muscles controlling the eye movements need nerves.
There are a few million very short nerve fibres at the back of the eye (“Rods and cones”>bi-polar cells>glial cells)
Then there are the main optic nerves themselves (and they diverge behind your nose so that there is a limited link between each eye and both sides of the brain).
Finally there are all the connections between the different parts of the brain that deal with vision (ask rizzo, this is her speciality).

An opthalmologist can run a lot of tests (like an optometrist only way, way more thorough) and eliminate a lot of this stuff as a problem area.

This could be potential for glaucoma (cupping of the optic nerve where it leaves the eyeball), or for cataract.

FWIW, I have had an incipient cateract for something like ten years, and I have been through the optometrist>GP>opthalmologist route (for possible glaucoma) about six years back. Came away clear, but this is one area that everyone seem to want to pass the buck on, and an opthalmologist is where it stops.

Geoff