Need a shoulder to cry on

I’ve been referred!!!

Hope it’s ok that I’ve updated this thread rather than starting a new one.

Went to GP on Tuesday after awful weekend and trip to hospital. I’ve finally been referred to a neurologist. The hilarious thing is that the GP said it like it was his fantastic idea all along. He’s a nice young Asian chap but can be a little bit dim. He listened to me, read the letter from the hospital (saying I should really be referred and have an MRI), performed some neuro tests, checked my eyes etc and then said ‘Well, I think you need to see a neurologist. Yes, I think that’s a great idea because I think you really need an MRI’. I just smiled and nodded (yes yes Mr GP, you take all the credit!). Then he said ‘actually, neurologists are really good with chronic fatigue as well so this will be really good for you’. My jaw almost hit the floor. I wanted to grab him by the throat and ask ‘if it’s such a good option for me why have all of my requests for referral been ignored and why hasn’t this been offered to me previously’. Instead I just carried on with the smiling.

I’ve taken this week off Uni and I’ve been trying to go for walks and relax but I’m in a lot of pain and nothing is helping. He reckons the referral will take a month; it’s the NHS so I’m prepared to wait for longer.

I’ve read a few tips here and there on this forum about referral appointments, if I remember correctly it’s best not to hand over a stack of papers describing every symptom you have and to be clear and concise. Any other words of wisdom while I wait?

p.s. Thank you to everyone on the forum for your support. I’m sure the same questions are asked again and again but everyone is so patient and so nice. I’ve found it so useful

Hi good to hear you got a referral at last, yes the wait may take a while - but at least your in the system.

My advice about the neuro appointment would be to take someone with you, it helps to have an extra pair of eyes and ears in the room - and i personally think neuros play nicer with another person present!Also make a list of all the questions you have and make sure you ask them all - nothing worse than coming away with unanswered questions!

Good luck, hope you start to feel a bit better soon.

Laura :slight_smile:

Thank you so much! I have just the person in mind to bring with me :slight_smile: