Forum

MS and Parkinson's's sufferers told 'get to work'

Anybody else read this? I get so irritated! I do like to read the comments at the bottom though…but it’s sad that some people still put all disabled people into the benefit cheat category :frowning: http://news.sky.com/story/1133509/ms-and-parkinsons-sufferers-told-get-to-work

Disgusting isn’t it! Most people with a disability continue to work a long as they can! Nobody wants to have to give up their life due to an illness, however sometimes it happens and you’d think the support would e there for when that time comes if it does! Xxx

That really made my blood boil. I’m still trying to come to terms with my employer retiring me and me losing qualifications I worked very hard for as my health is poor. I was a registered nurse but now struggle to walk, dress myself and maintain my own hygiene, how the ____am I supposed to look after anyone else? My employers considered me for a number of roles but due to physical constraints and fatigue (they too are nurses) decided that I was better off at home. They know me and hated letting me go. What do they want us to do when they can’t get fit, young, strong people to work?

I’d love to be healthy and working. My self confidence and esteem aren’t suited to living on benefits.

I’d love to be healthy and working. My self confidence and esteem aren’t suited to living on benefits. Me to Min. (((()))) what little I had is rapidly dwindling. Catherine Xx

As a single person with a teenager and a mortgage, a critical illness policy that doesn’t want to pay out and minimal sporadic maintenance I’d love these politicians to live my life with my limitations and on my budget. I wonder if their policies would continue to humiliate and penalise us.

Apparently they do not understand the term progressive disease. It reminds me of what a young woman at one of those ‘back to work charities’ said to me, “oh when you get better”, I said “I’m not going to get better”, she looked embarrassed but then she was new and probably following a script. The woman at the job centre was much more understanding, those were the days!