Ms and agriculture

Having been diagnosed almost 12 months ago I am starting to notice symptoms slightly more. I am in my 20’s and living/working on our family farm. I realise I have slightly more control of my days than people in other jobs but was wondering if anyone had specific advise for this situation with high stress and fatigue levels as well as the strain on your body 7 days a week? I am hoping to soon try yoga and see if this will help.

I wish I did. I struggled enough with pushing pieces of paper around a desk while trying to meet made-up internal-company deadlines in the insulated little world of the big company where everybody seems to gets paid, regular as clockwork, whatever happens.

The hard truth is that few of us with MS manage - in the long term - to operate at work at quite the level we used to, or that we had the potential to develop into. And that is really, really tough to take.

All I can suggest is openness and honesty with the people you work with, so you get as much out of work as you can and they get the best out of you that you have to give. This is all terribly emotionally charged even when it’s not a family concern; it is so hard to stay in adult problem-solving mode with such a painful subject and so hard to keep emotion out of it. That must go with bells on for a family business in which your employers are struggling with their own painful personal emotions concerning your health and welfare.

I really feel for you.

Alison

Hi farm girl I worked in farming for 47 years be careful of how much you work what do you actually do on the farm I was mainly doing tracter work so not to strenuous but it was the long hours that got me it came to a sudden stop may 2013 with a major relapse and an order to stop work but I really enjoyed my 47 years in farming great way of life you can enjoy it to but just take care and don’t over do it G

i run with MS self management courses, listen to your body if you feel your getting tired rest, you will find if you do this and listen to your body you will achieve more, the thing is you have to get your family buy in also and afraid that takes time.

Good luck

trish

l have had PPMS for 32 yrs. And previously l was very fit - l have dogs and horses - and used to compete in Endurance Riding - l managed to still ride up to 18months ago. What stopped me was arthritis in hip and knee. Had replacement surgery on both now. lt was abnormal wear and tear that caused the damage- and this is on my good leg. For years l did yoga and pilates to keep me supple and well balanced.

l have never taken anything easy - have kept exercising - even now. l think if you don’t use it - you lose it. So l have pushed and pushed myself. The more l exercise the less tired l feel - as it does boost your endorphins and give you that feel good factor. l take LDN - which also does this. And since taking it my ms has not progressed. Now l am battling with old age and arthritis - did not think after all these years with ms that it would be my ‘good’ side that now lets me down.

lf l eat carbs - gluten - l find it saps my energy straightaway. l eat low carb high fat/protein. Lots of green veg/salad. My cholesterol levels are good.

You need to exercise your brain as well - Quizes/crosswords/brain training/ reading all help. My mum is 91 - and she still exercises on a eliptical trainer and reads about 5 books a week and is constantly doing crossword puzzles.

l do take a high dose vitd3/b12 - which l know makes a big difference. Even though l spend a lot of time outdoors - l know my d3 levels are low.

Good Luck - l know this time of year the mud is at its worse - and days still dark - but spring will soon be here.

l have had PPMS for 32 yrs. And previously l was very fit - l have dogs and horses - and used to compete in Endurance Riding - l managed to still ride up to 18months ago. What stopped me was arthritis in hip and knee. Had replacement surgery on both now. lt was abnormal wear and tear that caused the damage- and this is on my good leg. For years l did yoga and pilates to keep me supple and well balanced.

l have never taken anything easy - have kept exercising - even now. l think if you don’t use it - you lose it. So l have pushed and pushed myself. The more l exercise the less tired l feel - as it does boost your endorphins and give you that feel good factor. l take LDN - which also does this. And since taking it my ms has not progressed. Now l am battling with old age and arthritis - did not think after all these years with ms that it would be my ‘good’ side that now lets me down.

lf l eat carbs - gluten - l find it saps my energy straightaway. l eat low carb high fat/protein. Lots of green veg/salad. My cholesterol levels are good.

You need to exercise your brain as well - Quizes/crosswords/brain training/ reading all help. My mum is 91 - and she still exercises on a eliptical trainer and reads about 5 books a week and is constantly doing crossword puzzles.

l do take a high dose vitd3/b12 - which l know makes a big difference. Even though l spend a lot of time outdoors - l know my d3 levels are low.

Good Luck - l know this time of year the mud is at its worse - and days still dark - but spring will soon be here.

I’m from a farming back ground but my son has took over my uncle’s farm, that I used to help with - your MS will let you know, what you can do or can’t do…but being outside and keeping as fit as you can will help with the mind and MS.