MRI scan help

Hi

I had an MRI scan last year after I had a short episode of not being able to speak properly (10 mins) the doctors were checking to make sure I hadn’t had a stroke as I had just had a baby. There was no evidence of a stroke so I was told all was good. I then developed hypothyrodism, and started having some really weird symptoms like pins and needles in my leg that were so bad they it was waking me up and a burning sensation mainly in my feet and sometimes in my hands, usually in the middle of the night and it felt like I had walked on really hot floor but my feet were cold. The doctors felt that my symptoms would disappear as soon as my thyroid medication was at the right dosage for me. My last blood test in January showed that my thyroid was under control and medicine was at the right level but as my symptoms had not disappeared I went to see the GP. GP ordered more blood tests to check for anaemia, vitamin deficiency, early onset menopause, liver and kidney function - all came back fine (yay!) I spoke to a nurse who asked me to come in for some tests to see whether POTS could be a cause of the symptoms. I have a slow heart rate and need to see a consultant who will test for POTS and the doctors are trying to find one in my local hospital. A GP asked me to come in and see them yesterday to discuss the blood test results and everything that is going on, we were talking about the symptoms and she asked me if I had had a brain scan and I told her about the MRI. She reviewed the MRI scan and then sent a referral to a Neurologist at the hospital. Which brings me to my question; The MRI says (it was an Axial T1 and T2 star DWI with T2 Flair

There are no features to suggest an area of restricted diffusion. There are several focal areas of subtle high signal visible in the periventricular white matter of both cerebral hemispheres largest lies in periventricular deep white matter of the left frontal lobe. These are non-specific. However, demyelination ischaemia or granulomatous disease should be considered. There are no features to suggest an area of Parenchymal haemorrhage.

I have read loads of websites about the areas of high signal and am I right in thinking this could mean there are lesions - but the radiologist used the word subtle does that mean that they are small and probably insignificant? From what I have read about diagnosing MS there would need to be lesions in more than 1 area of the brain so the fact that the areas of high signal are only visible in the periventricular white matter means it is also unlikely to be MS because there should be lesions in the other parts too?

Thank you if you made it to the end of this! x

Well I did make it to the end of your post, but it has too much medical jargon for me to help understand it…sorry.

Have you got a follow up appointment? Think you need one to understand the results.

Best wishes, Boudsx

Thank you for your reply! the Gp just said that she would refer me to neurology based on the MRI report. I’ve called my life insurance provider because they offer medical support services and they said they can’t understand the report either I need to speak to a consultant. how long does it take from referral to see a consultant (roughly) x

Hi again, like everything else…it varies. But shouldnt be more than a few weeks.

Give it 2/3 weeks then ring his secretary to ask where you are on his list.

Boudsx