MRI REPORT maybe Rizzo

Hi all, report recieved yesterday and although some lesions have gone smaller or disappeared i

have a new one in the subcortical white matter around the central sulcus. Where is it and what can it

affect i guess i’d like to know. The conclusion reads Multiple foci of periventricular white matter as well

as subcortical white matter hyperintensities are noted, roughly in a similar distribution to previous MRI.

central sulcus lesion best appreciated on the coronal plane. Given the waxing and waning nature of

these lesions, MS is the most likely dx. Given young age small vessel ischeamic change is unlikely

Vasculitis remains a differential. Opinions please.

Sonia x

Sulcus basically means crease - where the folds in the brain go inwards. The central sulcus is the crease that is the end of the parietal lobe and the beginning of the frontal lobe. The first bit of the frontal lobe is the precentral gyrus (the fold that lies just in front of the central sulcus). This gyrus contains the motor cortex, where movement is planned and controlled. The last bit of the parietal lobe is the postcentral gyrus (the fold just behind the central sulcus). This gyrus contains the somatosensory cortex, where sensations are processed. If you google image “motor cortex and somatosensory cortex” you will see where I mean.

A lesion in the white matter of that area could do any number of things, but it will be something to do with how the body either moves or feels. If the lesion is in the left half of your brain, it will be affecting your right side, and vice versa.

Btw, coronal view just means the scan that was taken in slices from the front to back (or back to front) of your head and parallel to your eyes.

Just let me know if you want the rest translated or would like more info.

Karen x

Thank you, are the multiple foci and periventricular hyperintensities consistent with a dx of MS. Thanks Sonia x

Multiple foci means multiple white spots which means multiple lesions, which is consistent with MS.

Periventricular hyperintensities means white spots next to the ventricles, which is a typical place for MS lesions.

Those two things on their own do not mean that it must be MS though. (That’s why the report mentions vasculitis.) Your neuro will have to consider your symptoms, history and clinical exam results as well as any other test results to make the decision.

Oh for a simple test for MS :frowning:

Kx

Thanks Rizzo, not sure what the symptoms would be for vasculitis. I have had TN, right side weakness and tremors, nerve pain in left side neck And shoulder. Also right side core pain for a few weeks, bladder urgency and Shooting pains and cramp in the night which wakes me. Obvious to other People twitches too. The joy’s eh. Sonia x