Forum

MRI findings (help needed to explain them please)

Hi just wonder if anyone could help to explain some findings in MRI report.

What does it mean by :multiple lobulations which are of high signal intensity, many of which have a central low signal.

There is prominent but heterogenous enhancement following gadolinium.

The inferior component of the lesion shows some infiltration between muscle planes in the upper cervical region. ???

also : there are multiple foci of abnormally high T2 signal intensity within both cerebellar hemisphere and the basal ganglia which do not enhance. ???

these are results from my sons MRI scan. He has an optic glioma and a large plexiform neurofibromas on the back of his head

To me, that is the most unhelpful and least sensitive reply to a post I’ve seen for quite some time.

Did you not read that this person is writing about her son? And that she is concerned about what is wrong with him?

Do you have good reason to believe the MRI findings this person has posted indicate tumours? And assuming you do, could you have found a way to say that in a more sensitive manner ?

Personally, I am sorry, Lilly, I don’t understand the findings you report from your sons MRI. I truly hope that there is some better news to be had from your sons doctors that that given above. And if the news is indeed that he has tumours, that it is curable.

Best of luck to you.

Sue

1 Like

Can I please reiterate what Sue said above. That first reply you got…what was the point!!! Incredibly harsh and presented with not an ounce of empathy. What your son is going through I can only imagine is pretty traumatic at the moment and whilst I can’t decipher what the findings mean I really do wish you all the very best and hope you get the answers you are after.

1 Like

You are right, I’m sorry. That came across incredibly insensitive and harsh :frowning:

I hope the doctors will give you different news, and that there is a way forward in all of this. You have my sympathies, again I’m sorry.

Best of luck!

Hi Lilly

I hope you’re doing OK, and that you get some answers soon about your sons MRI.

Sorry we couldn’t be of more help.

Obviously, the previous answers all look a bit peculiar now. Unfortunately, one of our new members to the forum said something that wasn’t helpful. So I and Cherry Tree put that person straight. I think when someone is themselves struggling with unexplained symptoms, they forget to think about other posters’ feelings. But that person has explained and deleted their post. And I trust will become a valued part of this community.

All we can do now is hope that Lilly and her son get help from a neurologist very soon to explain the utterly confusing information from the MRI scan.

Sue

Hi Sue and cherry and also epiepo. Thank you for you sympathy. My son has a condition called Neurofibromatosis. (NF1). We have been told that these are types of tumours that have been found. So sorry maybe I should of made it clear in my post. I was hoping for some better understanding about T2 signals. Our son has an oncologist but he’s never gone through the report with us. I’ve only just managed to get hold of the report.

Hi Lilly

I’m so sorry to hear of your sons diagnosis. Hopefully there is treatment to help him live a good life.

Thank you so much for coming back and letting us know.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Sue

I’m sorry to hear that :frowning:

Interpreting MRI reports is probably left to the doctors, there are so many possibilities… Still, I wish you and your son all the strength you need to get through this.