Memory lost question

I suffer with short term loss of memory. This morning I badly had a loss of long term memory. When I got up I was convinced it was SUNDAY until mife got up and said it was Friday. I was going to my Church meeting this evening. Any remarks please.

1 Like

Yes, Iā€™ve had to ā€˜struggleā€™ with it (I think) - when you actually question people, they either ā€˜donā€™t careā€™ or are sympathetic to it. Last night, I woke early, thinking that I was still on holiday in Lanzarote (which I actually came home from on Wednesday). If necessary, you have to question your ā€˜thoughtsā€™ or you ā€˜just donā€™t give a damn!ā€™

Good luck,

Marcus.

Hi Derek,

If itā€™s just the once, I donā€™t think getting mixed up about which day of the week it is is SUCH an uncommon occurrence, and I donā€™t think itā€™s even necessarily to do with MS.

Iā€™ve been mixed up about it all week, because I had a day off Monday, so I thought Tuesday was Monday, and Wednesday was Tuesday, and so on, all the way through the week (which was good, as I got to Friday a day early!)

I think itā€™s more easily done for people who donā€™t work (donā€™t know if thatā€™s true of you). If most days are pretty similar, and itā€™s only church once a week that distinguishes, I should think it would be much easier to lose track of where you are in the week.

Tina

1 Like

hi

although still undiagnosed i suffer with memory problems quite badly now and my work colleagues are picking up on it too, although theyā€™ve been really good about i have forgotten to go to work twice and can never remember whoā€™s worked what day and how many hours they worked for and im the one who does all the rotas!

whenever people ask how many grandchildren i have i always have to count them because i dont know the answer off the top of my head. (ive got 6)

i can take my medication and then cant remember if i have so either overdose or underdose on them.

off the top of my head i couldnt tell you how old 2 of my 3 children are, i think i only remember the 3rd because she still lives at home so its kind of a constant reminder.!

i can never win an argument as i seriously cant remember my self defence.

the worst part of it is the way i look really stupid with strangers because i struggle to remember things and come across as being an idiot especially as im the manager of shop and i should know the answers to simple questions

i think i just wanted to let you know that youā€™re not on your own and offer some support.

best wishes

mandy xx

1 Like

Morning, Iā€™ve had recent memory loss, have had a urine infection, yet again & wonder if all connected, I am also getting very tearful quite easily

Dear Mandy,

thank you so much for your words to show we are not alone with this memory problemā€¦I feel for you, my grandson was 6 yesterday & I have to rely on family members to remind me of my youngest grandsons ageā€¦

it is debilitating, more frustrating and many times I find myself in floods of tearsā€¦

i am getting recurrent urine infections to so probably all inter connected ??

take care all ā€¦xXx

Hi Yā€™all

I have had terrible trouble keeping up with anything hubby watches on the telly. For example I start watching a film and within minutes havenā€™ got a clue what has happened from the beginning.

Shazzie xxx

I donā€™t know if itā€™s happening to other readers out there, but I am getting fed up with my failure to retain the memory of the books Iā€™ve read in the last couple of years. Today I started book 2 of a series; earlier this year I read book one of the series and I know Iā€™d liked it, but started book two and had virtually no memory of book one! Iā€™m having to re-read book one! It keeps on happening. Iā€™ve started subscribing to Amazonsā€™ ā€˜Unlimitedā€™ Kindle library service and have just had to start a spreadsheet of what Iā€™ve borrowed and whether I finished it and/or liked it. At least with kindle books Iā€™ve bought I can check back, in fact Amazon tells me I already own books. Otherwise, Iā€™m starting the same book several times over because Iā€™ve no idea what I thought of it. I understand thereā€™s some cognitive problem in my brain, but why do I retain a load of useless stuff (like the words to Bay City Rollers songs from when I was 7!) and fail to remember the plot of a book I read and liked.

For someone whoā€™s read a lot all my life, itā€™s driving me crackers.

Sue

There are nearly as many theories of memory as there are causes of MS, Derek. I say that as someone who used to lecture on the subject.

Short term loss is a bit like ā€œWhere did I put my car keys?ā€
Long term loss is a bit like " When did the Beatles break up?"

And there is a separate problem which is a slow retrieval rate when what you want is in long term memory, and it can take several second to get the data up into ā€œworking memory?ā€. And when I say several seconds, I mean anywhere from 30 to 300+.

There is a theory called the ā€œMemory Traceā€. That is, that an item of information is encoded in the brain cells along a path or trace and that if the path is damaged, that the brain can (and I do mean CAN) reroute round the damage. An Amareican scientist - Herb Simon - that I have great respect for, did some studies that suggest it takes about 8-12 second for something to get from working short term memory into long term. This is the logic behind repeatedly handwriting lists before you see a consultant (you slow things down), or students writing model answers to exam questions.

Of course, my slow retrieval (it took me nearly a minute to recall Herb Simonā€™s name) could be down to my MS, ot just old age.

Geoff

I do have memory problems, but it was suggested by a counsellor that this may not always be MS related. They come and go, and if I think on them too much I get anxious and the correct information never comes to light. Once I was on the phone and asked to give my own phone number for a call back and for life of me could not remember own phone number. Another time could not find car keys for love nor money and found them in drawer I never use! It does upset me, especially as am only 37, but I try to put it within the larger picture of life.