Memory issues and appointments

Hi,

I’m being referred to the neurologist next week and not sure how the issues with my memory/brain fog are going to help me remember to tell them everything I’ve been experiencing.

My initial appointment with the neurologist is probably going to be a private one as the waiting list is so long so at least I know I’ll have more time to discuss my symptoms etc. but I’ve never been a good historian.

Does anyone ever write things down to take to your appointments? I had an appointment yesterday with my GP and forgot to mention quite a few relevant symptoms and ended up having to contact the surgery when I got home.

Thanks for reading & looking forward to getting some advice please

Hi

I think many people on here have written things down to take with them, I certainly do.

If you an a timeline of symptoms would be really helpful to take too.

Hope this helps

good luck!

Flaran

1 Like

Yes, I always take a bullet list of the important things. Once the appointment gets under way, it’s all too easy to be distracted by things the neuro may bring up. So, a brief list, an aide-memoire. Try to resist the temptation to prepare a multi page document of sub-sections detailing every little thing you can think of, stick to the important stuff. You may find the neuro gives you a lot of verbal information, so be prepared to take a few quick notes during the consultation - you may not remember it all when you get home. Many of us take someone with us, a partner, family member or trusted friend. They needn’t speak, just sit quietly, but it’s always helpful to have a chat with them after the appointment; two memories are better than one.

Hope all goes well

Ben

1 Like

Yes, I always take a bullet list of the important things. Once the appointment gets under way, it’s all too easy to be distracted by things the neuro may bring up. So, a brief list, an aide-memoire. Try to resist the temptation to prepare a multi page document of sub-sections detailing every little thing you can think of, stick to the important stuff. You may find the neuro gives you a lot of verbal information, so be prepared to take a few quick notes during the consultation - you may not remember it all when you get home. Many of us take someone with us, a partner, family member or trusted friend. They needn’t speak, just sit quietly, but it’s always helpful to have a chat with them after the appointment; two memories are better than one.

Hope all goes well

Ben

Hello

It’s always a good idea to take some notes with you to doctors appointments. Don’t be scared to get your list out either, it’s better to give them the full picture.

I keep a diary for my health issues, it’s been kept for about 8 years now, that enables me to check when symptoms started and (hopefully) improved. But a brief time line is the best thing to take with you to appointments.

If you sit down and try to remember as far back as you can what symptoms you have, roughly when they began and if they’ve improved, and when.

As Ben said, taking someone with you who you trust will help you to remember what was said after the appointments. I call what happens in neurology appointments ‘neurologistitis’. At the time, you think you’re following everything that’s said and understanding every word. You then leave the room and your brain has shut down, you have no clue what was said!

Best of luck.

Sue

1 Like

Thank so much for you advice & tips. I’ll probably take my Husband with me. Thank you again, I’ll get my cogs turning as this appointment has been a long time coming.