Medication before official diagnosis?

I am in the process of being diagnosed but I require a lumbar puncture to complete the official diagnosis. The NHS wait is now looking like over 4 months for this and so I wondered if anyone had any experience of being prescribed medication prior to the official diagnosis being done. I understand DMT etc would be unlikely but I am having lots of pain in my feet (burning pain) which affects my walking at times. From research and conversations with my neurologist, I believe this to be nerve pain and understand there are some things that could be prescribed to help. Before I take on the almighty task of trying to contact either my neurologist or get a GP appointment, I wondered if anyone knew if this was something usual to happen, or if I am not likely to have any success if I asked? Thanks!

Hi UnsureMS

Gabapentin/Amitriptyline are a couple of medications that can be prescribed to tackle the neurologic pain (I was prescribed these before I was dx with MS). They have to start slow and gradually build up.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for your response. Very glad to hear you were able to get these before the official diagnosis. Could I ask please, was it your neurologist or GP who arranged this for you?

1 Like

The initial prescription was via the neurologist but the GP then took over the prescription and process of increasing the Gabapentin to the most effective dose.

1 Like

I was prescribed amitriptyline by my GP before we had any idea I was heading for an MS diagnosis. They wouldn’t be providing it “for MS” but simply in the hope of alleviating pain. Hope that helps.

2 Likes

That’s really helpful. Thank you for responding

1 Like

Iv taken gabapentin for 7 years for RLS for my legs . Then 3 months ago i lost control of my right arm and leg i had a bad back . Wife was sick of me moaning of the pain and going limp on one side so she took me to A&E and 5 days later after 2 Mri s and bloods lumbar puncher and 3 doses of steriods got told by neurologists that i have MS so always ask your gp for help my journey started in my legs and feet …but do seak help from you doctor