Forum

Killer driver allowed to use MS as an excuse?

I just read on the Evening Standard Website that a killer driver has admitted the killing of a woman and her baby, but somehow as he has MS he is not being prosecuted for Death by Dangerous Driving. ( Driver admits mowing down and killing mother and baby in car)

I am really incensed by this. I, like every one of us in the UK, have had to live with limited-time licenses and the threat of extra tests due to the notifiable disease laws. We all drive, if we still do, within the law and with no favours expected in terms of obeying the road-traffic-act. To use our disease as an excuse for lowering the expectation of safety which pedestrians should have, or for failing to read and understand the speed limits is an insult to all of us.

This young man deserves the full weight of the law, not to be allowed to use MS as a “poor wee me” excuse. Now we will all be faced with suspicion that we are poor or very bad drivers who hide behind our disease.

1 Like

I think you’re partly correct. Yes, this story is tragic and yes this individual should face his day in court. I don’t believe however that all pwMS will be viewed as bad drivers who hide behind a chronic health condition.

3 Likes

Having MS doesn’t exclude people from life and does give additional responsibilities - I gave up my Licence because I never wanted to be in the position, or the risk of it, he has put himself in. I’m not being noble, just safe to myself and others. :pray:victims and the man himself and his family

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear about this. In the US, we don’t have to report MS to our state Dept. of Motor Vehicles, but that doesn’t mean that I take my driving lightly. I will, on occasion, drive via back roads to a nearby grocery store, but those days are few and far between. I don’t usually trust my vision, coordination, and reaction time enough to put other people at risk.

2 Likes

He hasn’t escaped a jail sentence yet, so will kop what he gets, but has dodged the bigger charge, so has used a good blag for his defence to work with, and everyone seems to love victims these days. Amazes me how he gets to plea via a zoom call. The law is just that to the wigged fraternity. Hopefully he’ll have green mile as his pad mate in need of a anal stress toy.

I drive on a 3 year medical licence, which I fully accept, as MS can change and usually do change over time, however even though I have MS and on the 3 year medical licence I would currently put my driving skills and reaction times up against any other driver.

I’m not saying I’m the best driver on the road but as long as as you are completely honest and open with your driving skills I see reason not to drive if you have MS.

If for one minute doubted my control of a vehicle, and that included my eyesight I would hang up the keys straight away.
I’m sorry but even driving on back roads is not a good enough excuse when theres some doubt in your own head if its the right thing to be doing.

What if there was a kid riding his/her bike on the back roads thinking it is safer ?

I’m sorry but thats just how I feel about this subject.

@jactac I think that what you say is a good, moral stance and having worked in California I can see why @NorasMum avoiding major roads in the US as a safety step is not quite a clear-cut as you think.

My real point is not what morally aware and thoughtful drivers do - it is that the driver in question was driving at 20mph over the speed limit and killed. He has used his MS as an excuse - and there cannot be one. When we drive in any country we do so not as a right, but as a privilege and, as you say, in the UK we are compelled to tell about our disease, be certified competetant and are subject to the same Road Traffic laws as the rest of the population. Drunk driving, under the influence of narcotics and being reckless to the extreme are all illegal and cannot be excused because of a notifiable disease.

This reprehensible individual denegrates all of us, those who obey British, US, or any other country’s laws by claiming an expemption to guilt based on MS. In my view he is doubly guilty by virtue of driving while physically or mentally impared by a notifiable disease and then trying to say he was aware, but doesn’t think he ought to be punished in the same way as someone without MS.

Shame on him, shame on his lawyers, shame on the magistrate who allowed this travesty.