Forum

Just feeling really confused an don't know if I am imagining this!!

OKAY…Feel really confused about what is going on in my body but frightened to talk to anyone about it! Everyone one on this forum has surely felt the same at some time…

So, have had RLS for many years (about 30 or more) and was put on Sifrol about 2 years ago. Has helped a lot tho woe betide ever missing a dose, as I really suffer. About last 12 months have had tingling, numbness, pain (more recently) in hands and feet. Really affecting my driving as my hands can go totally numb!! Thought it may be Carpal Tunnel? But I have other problems…sudden exhaustion, but can’t sleep, muscle spasms, diagnosed as a torn intercostal muscle. Plus my vision has deteriorated terribly in last year…sometimes giving me a ghost like vision. I can get pretty breathles but I put that down to the weight gain…just falling to pieces, I think…shall I go on? Feel like a right moaner!! (Also I have had an underactive thyroid for twenty years so maybe that is to blame. )

Any ideas…or am I just worrying about nowt.

Hi Jayne-Elizabeth, I see you are new to the site and so welcome…

I don’t think you are worrying about nowt, as you obviously have a lot of worrying symptoms. There are a huge bunch of conditions that can cause these symptoms… so MS is only one of many. As you say, underactive thyroid can be causing them. Vitamin deficiency esp vitamins B12 and D can cause symptoms like you describe.

You really need to see your GP and have some blood tests done. That will show up the vitamin deficiency… and I would think you certainly need your thyroid tested again. As I said, there’s loads of stuff that could be causing your symptoms and many of them will show up in blood tests. So go and see GP asap with list of symptoms.

If they find nothing in your blood that could be causing the problem, and they don’t think it’s a thyroid problem, the GP might send you to a neurologist so see if it’s neurological in nature (but again, that wouldn’t necessarily mean it is MS as there are also a bunch of neuro’ conditions besides MS that cause similar symptoms).

So, one step at a time. Go and see your GP and get the blood tests done. Ask particularly for B12 and Vit D along with all the usual tests… and make sure you get your thyroid tested again.

Good luck and hope you get some answers soon,

Pat x