Forum

IV Steroid side-effects = Acne :(

Hi Everyone,

I have just finished a 3 day course of IV steroids followed by a ‘come down’ set of oral steroids for a recent relapse and this time I have found myself suffering awful acne on my neck, shoulders, scalp, back and face. The blemishes are almost boil/blister like with an underlying rash type thing. I am sore and weeping all over these areas and nothing I seem to do makes eases the soreness and redness.

Can anyone recommend how to treat it? I have never suffered anything like this before and without meaning to sound a wimp, it’s getting me down. I really don’t want to go back to the GP for more pills or anything.

After receiving the treatment you hope to feel better, this time I feel really rubbish.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Hi. I have had steroids twice and both times I got the acne. I got it on my forehead, down the side of my face and on the back of my neck. It has never gone completely but has improved by using a body scrub and a facial scrub.

HTH

Mary

Thank you Mary. I shall invest in some decent scrub and see what happens!

Hi

I have had oral steroids three times and on last two times developed some acne type spots on my face. However they didn’t last long -2 weeks at the most. I just washed/cleansed face as normal and used concealer when at work.

Hope yours don’t last long and you are soon feeling better.

Cathy

you know ive had bad acne and my scalp for a couple years now. blood on my pillow is very common. my gp prescribs a shampoo but it hasnt really done much good. i didnt realize that steroids could cause this.