Is lumbar puncture more painful than deep cleaning teeth

Hey all, I have a random question but just want to get an idea of how painful lumbar puncture is. Would you say its more painful than when you deep clean teeth? Because, deep cleaning is a painful process itself, and I have heard lumbar puncture is also painful.

Thanks

1 Like

Sorry, I donā€™t really know what deep cleaning teeth is. Is it like a visit to the dental hygienist, only more do? Anyway, I have had an LP, and it didnā€™t hurt.

1 Like

Way more painful, yes.

Hi some say they didnt find LP painfulā€¦3 of mine were very painfulā€¦but the 4th was done x-ray led and was fine.

Deep teeth clean? Dunno!
Boudsx

1 Like

Hi! Iā€™ve had three lumbar punctures and found them uncomfortable but not painful. On one occasion a trainee doctor was attempting the procedure on me but with no success This did cause some pain but when the resident doctor took over there were no problems.

1 Like

Ditto! on 4th attempt :woozy_face: Junior Doc, very unpleasant, particularly when he caught a nerve and my leg went into a massive spasm.

I donā€™t think teeth clean could possible come close. Perhaps a root canal without anaesthetic?

1 Like

Hi,

I have only had one LP, and am happy to report that it was painless.

Ben

2 Likes

I would rather have a lumbar puncture than a standard toothache. Mine had some pinches and pressure, but there was no actual pain involved.

2 Likes

Deep clean wasnā€™t that bad, gets numbed down. 1st LP was horrid. Trainee/student struggle to get pierce my lumbar, and Locum took over and did it quickly but hit a nerve in the process. 2nd was a breeze. The Diazepam I got to calm my nerves before may have been why the 2nd was a breeze :smiley:

1 Like

I agree with alison100. Iā€™d asked my Neurologist what to expect when she made the referral, she explained using an X-ray of my spine. There must be some reliable NHS information about the proceedure. Anyway, I was greeted in the department on the day by the Doctor who was to do the proceedure and along with the nursing staffsā€™ input I felt reassured. There must have been some local anesthetic as I lay on my side. I still felt a little anxious after Iā€™d signed the Consent Form, however there was no pain. I had to lay on my back and keep still for 1/2 hour or so (and drink plenty of coffee afterwards). Iā€™m glad I went by taxi - after that there was some waiting for the result which in my case was the clincher, cofirming my MS and the end of my ā€˜journey to diagnosisā€™. I hope that yours goes as well. Donā€™t be afraid the ask the professionals any questions that you have, they are trained to help. Good luck, George

4 Likes

Hi i had lumber puncture not painful at all just weird sensation but no pain my daughter has had to endure suspected ms too an also has had the procedure again no pain donā€™t worry

3 Likes

Iā€™m not going to lie to you, it was THE worst experience of my entire life.
The procedure itself and the aftermath, bed bound for 2 weeks.
ALTHOUGH, without having it done I wouldnā€™t know I have MS which in the long run would be much much worse.
Sending best wishes to you.

2 Likes

I had this too!! Felt like lightning going down my legs.

1 Like

I suppose it depends on the experience of the giver and where your ā€œsensitiveā€ spots are.

Iā€™ve had 2 spinals for c-sections and didnā€™t feel a thingā€¦ but flew through the roof when a dentist touched my teeth with a gloved finger! :joy: (tn)

Not sure what a deep clean is unless you talk to my partner who states that a deep clean of my bedroom is now advisableā€¦
No real problem with the Lumber Puncture although I was bundled into the drug storage room for 5 hours with no offer of food or drink, At the change of shift, the head nurse went potty and demanded that I was examined. An hour later they found someone who prodded around in my back and then admitted defeat as ā€˜my spine was bentā€™, waited on a tolley for another hour for somebody else who managed to relieve me of some spinal fluid.
Good job I had an appointment otherwise I might still be there !

1 Like

I have have both.

In fact lumber puncture this Monday.

Lp did not hurt

1 Like

Hi there, Iā€™ve had two lumbar punctures which were not particularly painful but the headaches after were. I suggest Dioralyte or an alternative rehydration medication. Good luck x