Forum

Introduction

Firstly please let me introduce myself.  I am Sharon, a 50+ lady who has a wonderful family, some truly great friends but do suffer from severe depression at times.

I try to keep myself as busy as possible but having just lost my job of 21 yrs I feel a bit of a failure. Life has dealt me some awful blows but I have managed to keep going. I just wonder how much more I am going to have dumped on me and if I am going to cope with it all.

I hope I can be supportive to people on here. I may not always have the answers but I am a very good listener.

I may have jumped the gun because I have not received a definate diagnosis from my consultant yet but the more I read about multiple sclerosis the more I am convinced that that is what I am suffering from.

I have been having falls since the beginning of the year, lost the feeling in a couple of toes and suffered from pins and needles in my arm which the GP treated as carpal tunnel syndrome.

Recently, whilst on holiday I lost half the vision in my left eye and lost all sense of balance.

When I got home form my holiday I went straight to the opticians who referred me straight up to Moorfields hospital where I was diagnosed with 'non arteritic anterior ischaemic optic neuropathy' and was told that I needed more tests.

My GP referred me to the local stroke clinic where I had blood tests, scans and dopplers. The consultant assured me I had no brain tumour or active bleed and it was possible that I had suffered a TIA. An MRI scan would be needed to give a conclusive diagnosis which I had a week later. Now a further week on I am still waiting with scared anticipation of the result. 

My eye sight has not improved, in fact I think it's slightly worse and I have really bad headaches most days.

Please be honest with me; am I barking up the wrong tree? Do you, as experts, think I may have MS or am I being stupid self diagnosing?

Thank you for reading and I look forward to your replies.

Hi Shazza

Welcome, I hope you are feeling well. You are now part of a big family, some DX some in limbo land and some with symptoms and not DX. I am mike and I am nutty as a fruitcake, I can’t be serious and I try not to let this get me down.
Further down this page is the post where are you from. Loads of us are on here, we have a laugh and don’t take MSseriously. The thread is massive now ( over 300 posts) and you are welcome to join. You can find advice, info & companionship here.
So kick back and take it easy
Mike

Hi Shazza and welcome happy2

First of all you're not stupid. Up to a point it's natural to 'self diagnose' and google your symptoms but please don't let it get out of control because you'll just end up worrying even more - worry & stress can exacerbate symptoms. And it's best not to mention ms to your consultant too - most docs hate the idea of their patient trying to self diagnose! 

Secondly, there are lots of things that could be responsible for your symptoms - ms is only one of those things. But on the plus side (there's always a plus side....) you're under a consultant and you've had an mri so the ball has started rolling.....

As Mike said, there's a mixture of people here and we all understand what you're going through. You'll make friends, have a chat and you've got access to lots of info too.

.....Mike is as nutty as a fruit cake....LOL....but in the nicest possible way.....and so am I and many others happy it's our coping mechanism. Everybody has one. It helps to lighten the load so in the meantime try to enjoy life as much as possible, do the things you love to do and take one day at a time. 

One baby step at a time Shazza....

Debbie xx

Just want to say hello Shazza and welcome xx

Whatever is causing your ill health and symptoms - you will get lot's of info and support here while they unravel it! xxjenxxxhappyflower

Hi Debbie

Finally acknowledgement-&theybsent me to see a shrink. Could have come hear in first place.

Mike x

Hi!
You are in the right place and your MRI is a good start. A diagnosis can take a long time but you just have to take each day as it comes.

I was diagnosed with MS in May, but the fact I thought I had it anyway helped me deal with it a lot more when it was confirmed.

I am so sorry it has hit your eyes though. I’m lucky that I’ve never had a problem that has affected me there. I hope that this is a relapse that will clear up.

I’ve only been a member here for a few days but I already feel part of a great group of people, and have already learnt that Mike’s crazy :wink: xx

Hi Shazza, and welcome :slight_smile:

There are quite a few causes of optic neuropathy, so try and keep an open mind about what’s causing your symptoms. Whatever it is, it sounds like you won’t have too long to wait to find out - it probably feels like forever mind you, it usually does!

Karen x

Dear All,

Thank you for your very kind welcome and comments.

I'm not scared about getting a diagnosis, in fact it would be a relief to be able to explain my symptons, I just want/need to know. Limbo land is a stressful place to live. Every new day without knowing is so frustrating and annoying. I just want to scream 'just tell me'!

Mike, there always has to be one and I'm glad you're the first person to introduce yourself. If we can't have a laugh what is the point of life!

I am hoping I will get my sense of humour back when the consultant does finally get in touch.

Thinking of you all out there managing your MS so well.

Shazza

XXXX

Dear All,

Thank you for your very kind welcome and comments.

I'm not scared about getting a diagnosis, in fact it would be a relief to be able to explain my symptons, I just want/need to know. Limbo land is a stressful place to live. Every new day without knowing is so frustrating and annoying. I just want to scream 'just tell me'!

Mike, there always has to be one and I'm glad you're the first person to introduce yourself. If we can't have a laugh what is the point of life!

I am hoping I will get my sense of humour back when the consultant does finally get in touch.

Thinking of you all out there managing your MS so well.

Shazza

XXXX

Well now Mike, we’re a mixed bunch here you know

…I like to think of us as ‘special’…LOL…

Debbie xx

Oh Debbie I love you already.

Hi shazza I thought I was going mad b4 I came on here it was nice ( in a good way ) to find so many people feeling like I do sometimes I write on pages but most of the time I read it just gives me comfort to know Im not alone im in limbo as they say some days comming on here gives me that kick up the bum I sometimes need !!!!!! thumbsup

Hi Shazza. Welcome from me too.

Limboland is a tough place to be, but you will definitely find support encouragement from everyone on here. There are some amazingly knowledgeable people here too so feel free to ask for advice.

I have Optic Neuritis in both eyes (for past 17 weeks) so I understand how it is to cope with this.  I am not diagnosed yet, but in the middle of lots of tests to hopefully get an answer soon.

Paula xx

Hi Shazza, hello, I am too a fifty plus woman I was dx 6 years ago. I hope you get some answers soon as it is so hard not knowing what’s wrong. Lovely to meet you Karen xxx

aaaawwww shucks fanks Shazza!

I remember what it was like myself when in Limboland and I was one of the lucky ones (if you can call it that?!) and diagnosed in 6 months. Consider each test as another step closer to getting some real answers.

In the meantime keep your pecker perked as much as…

Mail me anytime

(((hugs)))

Debbie xx