After ingestion, inosine produces uric acid that is suggested to be a natural antioxidant and a peroxynitrite scavenger with potential benefits to patients with multiple sclerosis (MS.) Peroxynitrite has been correlated with axon degeneration. In 2003, a study was initiated at the University of Pennsylvania MS Center to determine whether raising the levels of uric acid by the administration of inosine would slow the progression of MS. The study was completed in 2006 but the results were not reported to NIH. A subsequent publication hinted at potential benefits but the sample size (16 patients) was too small for a definitive conclusion. In addition, the side effect of the treatment was the development of kidney stones in 4 out of 16 patients. Thus, additional studies are necessary to prove the treatment’s efficacy.
This was copied from Wikipedia. Funny thing is my dad suffers from gout which is too much uric acid and there is a genetic link with some form of gout. My brother may be starting to some some symptoms of it too (hopefully not though). Maybe my dad and my brother nicked my uric acid. The swines !!! hehe