How to encourage husband who seems to have given up

Hi all,
First time poster here!
Would like some advice on how i can encourage and support my husband. He as RRMS but has significantly deteriorated over the ;ast 2 years. It is now getting to the point that he doesn’t want to get involved in family activities (we have 2 kids, 9 and 7yrs) as he thinks it’ll be too difficult or he won’t be able to manage.
He is reluctant to get a wheelchair to help with his mobility which means that we (me and the kids) will often do activities or go on trips /days out without him. I am worried that he is going to regret missing out on these experiences (kids grow up so quickly) but don’t want to appear to nag him if he really doesn’t feel able to come with us.
Anyone else going through the same and have any advice?
Thanks

1 Like

Clare,
I was that husband who so hated the idea of a stick/rollator/wheelchair/mobility scooter that I started to miss out on quality family time. If I had been nagged I would have dug my heels in. My family showed me photos and video of all the great stuff I was missing out on. So I grew up a bit and have become less self conscious. I still have times when the effort is too great to get past my negativity but generally I am having a lot of great family time now. With my MS the goalposts constantly shift but eventually I usually find the right compromise. Wishing you and your family all the best.
Mick

1 Like

It takes awhile to get your head around the fact you need a stick/scooter etc
Im getting there but still feel self concious and worried about how people see me but also how my family feel seeing me using them and what thoughts they have with regard to themselves - its all rubbish - people dont take any notice, its all in my head. Your husband probably has a load of daft thoughts and pride as well…its true - pride dose come before a fall - if i was too proud to use a stick and i fell, i would be even more embarressed and hurt and struggle to get up again -there would be no pride left then!

sorry for the rambled thoughts

1 Like

Hi @ClareD, firstly welcome. Without prying is your husband quite private? Sounds like he could do with touching base with those that can really understand how feels… why because they have been there. There are some great fella experiences on here that may just help him see that how he feels is just like how many of us feel right here, right now. Wishing you the best, perhaps he will consider being pointed this way.