How often do you say sorry or thank you when out in your buggy?

“Sorry, thank you” I am saying this all of the time! Only to have a tall blonde middle aged woman pronounce, “I’m keeping out of your way you don’t even say thank you”, the one bloomin time I didn’t realise I was meant to say thank you. I tried to chase her to Wilko’s checkout till with these words emblazoned on my tongue, but she escaped, thank goodness, it would probably have done me no good. (By the way, I now consider myself to be more than middle aged)

Wendy x

Hi Corkie

I am constantly saying sorry to people, which incidentally annoys my family hugely, as they say I have as much right as anyone else.

I know why they get annoyed, cos I say sorry to everyone, as though I am constantly in the way, but it comes out automatically, and then I get annoyed with myself.

I always sa thank you when people stand to the side to let me through, r hold a door open, reach things on shelves etc, but I still feel inn the way…how sad is that.

Don’t think I will ever change, hey ho.

Maybe it was a good thing you couldn’t catch the lady up.

Pam x

Yes Pam it probably was, I feel like a self deprecating robot, my friends tell me that I shouldn’t worry, I belive they think we sit in our buggies for fun.

On a lighter note I was pleasantly surprised by several young lads aged around 6 or 7, who had copious amount of energy (unlike their ladylike sisters), they repeatedly apologised for getting in people’s way whilst walking in the high street, who says good manners are finished.

3 Likes

Don’t worry Wendy, We aren’t perfect, sometimes im so preoccupied with trying to get me and Frazer (assistance dog) through a tiny gap that i might not have noticed someone waiting, i always try my hardest to say thank you and even apologise when people have to give up the disabled wheelchair place on the train…but you can’t always get it it right i remember one man fuming in Primark as Molly my autistic daughter pushed past him and i followed her at breakneck speed…desperately trying not to lose her…but that was one occasion i chose not to look back!

Oh well we can’t please everyone

Michelle

1 Like

People are well ignorant about disabilities and understandably so, I was as well . There was a program on tv about shop lifters and a security guard saw a man in a wheelchair stand up and walk a couple of paces then sit back down again , he instantly called him a faker and a benefit cheat. After 5 minutes of conversation with the other security guard they came to the conclusion that he may not be permanantly disabled but may have just had an operation. That’s average human logic

People generally think that to be trully disabled you’ve got to be incapable of any movement whatsoever, therefore if you can get in and out of a chair you are a faker and just in their bloody way and you should be apologising for everything even breathing the same air !! Afterall they’ve got to walk round the shop walk to the car park ,walk ,walk, walk and there you are in your power chair with your consessionary parking in there bloody way and they are in a tearing hurry.

None of these people realise yet that being able to walk is a real blessing, they just take it for granted. What their anger should really be directed at is the councils for putting yellow lines everywhere, the cost of everything meaning that aisles in shops are as narrow as possible and the government for feeding them false propergander via their right wing press about so called benefit cheats and people faking disability.

But human nature loves divisions, loves creating a them and us mentalty and loves thinking other’s are getting something they shouldn’t have.

3 Likes

Far too many times Wendy, generally when I’m trying to keep my balance dodging people when using my walking stick. Not so often when I’m in my wheelchair, let’s face it most of us turn into non-entities in a chair. They don’t even look at me so how can I catch their eye to apologise.

Jan x

I don’t think they’re oblivious to you just because you’re in a wheelchair. People are just arseholes in general. Working in retail for 20 years, there’s always someone willing to confirm this. There are exceptions of course. I’ve never used walking aids (so far), but back in 2003 I was very unsteady on my feet (should’ve got a stick then but it was more money than vanity I didn’t) and people refused to move, thinking I was drunk. Stumbling into a cinema, my wife heard someone say ‘Jesus, look at the state of him’… (Though that may have been the ripped jeans and long hair !!!). BUT, I also understand people are caught up in their own life, trivial shit seeming important at the time etc, and the reaction to staggering people is ‘They’re pissed’ rather than ‘They’ve got m.s.’ How many times have I got out of the way (on path and driving) to have wheelchair/old person/ ‘normal’ person /pushchair/chav, glide through without even acknowledging my existence. I was dragged up with manners. I say ‘thank you’ regardless, even when I’m having a bad day. You can’t help how people speak/re-act to you, you’re only responsible for your own actions. We all have our own crosses to bare, some are just more evident than others. Ice cream and hugs, have a good day y’all. Andy

3 Likes

Thank you for all of your posts, you cheered me up no end. I will continue to say thank you and sorry but will try not to get upset if I get yelled at by outraged woman.

Take care

Wendy x

1 Like

Constantly. I say sorry when people get in my way, step back without looking, etc etc you all know when.

Thank you all the time too.

1 Like

Only yesterday; whilst out on my buggy, I was constantly waiting for people to pass and did I get a thank you? Well no, it’s made me feel better as I could have easily shouted some something but I didn’t, cause I’m not like that.

Wendy x

1 Like

Had a day out in Norwich today with my little scooter. Everyone was great! Shopping packed into back pack in M and S; a customer in Accessorize took money and goods to the till for me; another in WH Smiths reached me down a notebook; people where we had lunch made room to get scooter inside…even on the street, people seemed to be smiley and nice. So yes, there are lots of kind and thoughtful people out there who really are trying to be more ‘disabled aware’ and the more we say thankyou the better things will be, as they will do it again!

1 Like

Yes most people are kind, it’s just the odd few.

Wendy x

1 Like

Gud two no yew wur luked arter bor. Dew yew keep a troshin.

Thank you and sorry about 50,000 times! Drives me nuts.

Most people are really kind and helpful… and I’m in London… but teenage girls are the worst offenders for stepping in front of me… eyes on their mobiles, and the most surprising group of polite and helpful people are teenage boys. Much more aware of what’s right in front of them!

Most common comment ‘Give us a lift love’… heard it a thousand times but I always laugh as if it’s the first time I’ve heard it… it’s someone’s way of being kind.

Pat xx

Most common comment ‘Give us a lift love’… heard it a thousand times but I always laugh as if it’s the first time I’ve heard it… it’s someone’s way of being kind.

Me too Pat and “don’t you go speeding” usually from elderly men.

Wendy x

1 Like