How about best prezzies

After Tina’s 7legged spider brooch- pedometers - bath salts. [yes l have loads of bubble bath/salts etc - and nobody in this house baths - they all shower]

My daughter was given a super set of nail files in a lovely case. They are made from ‘crystals’ and you can file in both directions. They leave your nails so smooth - no flaking or jagged edges. l was so impressed l asked the friend who had bought them if she would get me a set - and one for my mum. They arrived yesterday - they are from QVC - and the make is Leighton Denny. They were expensive - about £27 with p&p. But you only have to try one to realise how good they are. Everlasting - as long as you do not forget where you have put them. Just need running under the tap now and then. There is two in a pack - one is big enough for me to reach my toenails. So its a winner!!! l give them 5*

Kobo - l was also given one these E-readers. l have put off getting one of these - as l do like the ‘feel’ of holding a book - and the ability of sharing books with friends. Now l have one - and have started using it [l do read a lot at night in bed] l am a FAN.

You can change the size of the font. Though if l made it large enough to read without specs l would only get 3 words on the page!!!

But it always amazes me when friends buy me jewellery - l do not have my ears-pierced - and do not wear jewellery - perhaps they think it is about time l did!

Fx

Nice thread Francis. Had to laugh at your 7 legged spider

My favourite present of all time was from my boss years ago. He had to go back to the UK in hurry as his Mum was dying and asked me to manage the riding school in his absence. In the 8 weeks he was away I managed to increase the business by about 200% and he returned to a thriving concern.
He was so pleased he GAVE me my favourite horse in the stables

This horse became my best ever all round champion. He took me through my Riding Instructor’s Exams EFA Level 1 (equivalent to your BHS 1) and won every ODE and show jumping and dressage comp we entered, and would then turn round and win Champion Hack at the Royals. I adored that horse…

Vale Necromancer…

B

My best has to be this year i got a pasta machine, damn i love pasta. Turned into a chef with the ms slowing me down a little. A HORSE!! my partner would love one. Maybe one day when im rich and famous.

What a lovely story Belinda - l am still hoping to continue riding - dodgy hip/knee stopping me at the mo. Although l am 65 - l have until this last year managed to keep riding. l used to compete in Endurance Riding. And like you quite successful. My long-distance horse was an lrish Draught - a real heavyweight - so certainly not the ‘type’ for this sort of discipline. We did very well - and got lots of teasing from other riders and vets. He did look like a ‘milk horse’ and remarks like ‘does the co-op know he is out’. This lovely animal lived until he was 41 - and l had him from the age of 7. We still have my daughters old pony - and he is also 41. New Forest.

We bought back a piebald cob that we had from a foal - who went on to new owners at the age of 6. He is now 16 - and back with us. We still have 3horses who were with us when he was young - and we like to think they remember one another. Daughter has ridden him to-day and yesterday - getting him use to his enviroment - and me on my Tramper!! He is going on his own - and stepping out with no encouragement. l have always preferred forward going horses. We have three friends/neighbours who will be able to ride him - they all spend lots of time in the yard - and l am very grateful for their input/work.

When my daughter went to see this cob [Tobias] the owners father was doing all the ‘looking after’ - and really spoiling him. Big buckets of hard feed and lots of titbits - packets of ‘pink wafers’!!! And the horse was not doing any work/exercise. Very fat. So now he is on ‘rations’ just good hay - and turned out. By the spring - he should have lost the ‘crest’ of stored fat on his neck before the grass starts growing. My daughter will probably break him into harness - then we can do a milk-round!!

F.

Not as interesting as a horse how cool is that and how I would have loved one of those when I was younger but I did have some good pressies, my birthday falls around Christmas too! So combined pressies were -

a minibike, (a small machine that helps your legs to stay strong whilst you sit down). I have been using it regularly and have to say that at the moment my legs are WORSE. I suppose it will take a while before the muscles recognise that they have to work again.

I also had some really good books, (I love a good book), JK Rowling’s latest novel (Casual Vacancy), the guy in Waterstones told my daughter it was depressing and he had no interest in reading it, honestly some book salespeople!

The other good book is by Karen Duffy, MODEL PATIENT (My life as an incurable Wise-ass), this is the autobiography of Karen and tells of her life as a model/actress/MTV VJ (presumably this is a presenter on MTV) and how she copes with a life changing Neurological condition! I am enjoying reading this book.

I also had bed socks (a must for pwms) and some money so that I can continue with massage/reflexology for a few more months into 2013.

I did have some unfortunate presents, some chocolates (which I’ve eaten) biscuits and jam which no one in my household eats but all in all…

Wendy x

My best pressie this Christmas - a lithium drill with drill bits. Why - well friend bought me an electric underblanket but not wise to put it on a memory foam mattress so exchanged it, now I can practise putting screws in and taking them out, much to the amusement of my male friend and son.

All our others have broken but I thank the friend who bought the blanket, however as it was unwanted I was allowed to exchange it for something Ive always wanted, my own drill!!! Now fathers teachings should come in handy, so when your all watching tv Ill be playing with my drill (is it a phallic thing do you think?) Now what do I have to screw???

bren

x

Hi Frances. I bought my daughter a Vauxhall Corsa as she passed her driving test a few weeks ago. It’s not brand new, but full service history, good nick etc.

And a satnav.

She hasn’t been round with it yet!

Mark

[quote=“josefkloz1702”]

Hi Frances. I bought my daughter a Vauxhall Corsa as she passed her driving test a few weeks ago. It’s not brand new, but full service history, good nick etc.

And a satnav.

She hasn’t been round with it yet!

Mark

[/quote] What a super present Mark - and congratulate her on passing her driving test - not easy and very expensive these days.

l changed my car recently - traded in my mercedes A class for a Subaru Forester. We need a 4x4 where we live - some winters it is only me on my Tramper and the local farmers tractors that can get out. l have wanted a Forester for many years - it has all the benefits of a 4x4 but not too high off the ground. lts one previous owner and full-service history. And l shall have it converted to lpg.

l shall also get myself a satnav - although not when my OH and daughter are with me as they actually argue with each other and the satnav lady!!! Bizzare.

Fx

Frances, I recommend satnav. The Garmin is more immediate than the TomTom which will have more toys and gongs/whistles. I have a little Garmin - it lights up immediately but a TomTom I had a few years ago too five minutes to find the satellites, by which time you were going the wrong way down some unturnable road.

I drive a Mercedes C class sports coupe with integral satnav, but when it went in for service last year they gave me a courtesy A class so I know the feel of this. I expect you liked it, driving up high and surveying the kingdom from a lofty viewpoint. I’m due to change again probably next year. What shall it be?

M

Well Mark, l had my A Class -automatic for about 5yrs. lt was the long-wheel based one. lt was knicknamed the Tardis [or pub car]

as l could get so many people in it - usually picking up my daughter and friends after a night out!!! l have never had a car with so much leg room. lt was so easy for me to get in and out of - [my mother loved it too] Even our huge volvo estate has not that sort of legroom. l could get a folded wheelchair or rollator in the foot well.

l felt very sorry for it when l drove away from the car dealers after trading it in for the Forester. l hope it has gone to a kind home.

We had a lovely Mercedes SK [something] sports car ‘hidden’ in our driveway -neighbours xmas present to his wife. lt had a hard top and a soft top. With just a push of a button the hard top folded back into the boot and the soft top unfolded and covered the roof. Very impressive. And there was still a good amount of space left in the boot. l put tinsel and bows on it to make it look festive. But also l wrote out placards saying Scrap Yard - MOT failures here. And on the car l put This vehicle is free with every Volvo Estate Automatic purchased [ we have a 24yr old one whose mot is up!] Never raced or rallied.

F.

[quote=Campion]

After Tina’s 7legged spider brooch- pedometers - bath salts. [yes l have loads of bubble bath/salts etc - and nobody in this house baths - they all shower]

My daughter was given a super set of nail files in a lovely case. They are made from ‘crystals’ and you can file in both directions. They leave your nails so smooth - no flaking or jagged edges. l was so impressed l asked the friend who had bought them if she would get me a set - and one for my mum. They arrived yesterday - they are from QVC - and the make is Leighton Denny. They were expensive - about £27 with p&p. But you only have to try one to realise how good they are. Everlasting - as long as you do not forget where you have put them. Just need running under the tap now and then. There is two in a pack - one is big enough for me to reach my toenails. So its a winner!!! l give them 5*

Kobo - l was also given one these E-readers. l have put off getting one of these - as l do like the ‘feel’ of holding a book - and the ability of sharing books with friends. Now l have one - and have started using it [l do read a lot at night in bed] l am a FAN.

You can change the size of the font. Though if l made it large enough to read without specs l would only get 3 words on the page!!!

But it always amazes me when friends buy me jewellery - l do not have my ears-pierced - and do not wear jewellery - perhaps they think it is about time l did!

Fx

my 2 sons bought me tickets to see kings of leon in manchester and my youngest son also bought me a book by caitlin moran because i’d told him that i enjoyed seeing her at festival no 6 in portmeirion. its one of those books where you’re quiet then snort, quiet, titter, quiet, howl with laughter, need the loo, and back to snort etc

my word i’m so proud of my boys and their immaculate taste in choosing presents for their mum

carole x