Help please!

Hi

I received my blood test results yesterday but my GP is away for another 2 weeks and I need to know the scientific name for the vit D test as I cant make head nor tail of this!!

Thanks

Steve

I don’t really know so I ‘cheated’ and went to Google. There were lots of results and this was one of them -

Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin also known as the sunshine vitamin.### Vitamin D helps regulate the amount of calcium and phosphate in the body, and calcium and phosphate are needed to help keep bones and teeth healthy.

A lack of vitamin D is very common. Some people are more at risk of vitamin D deficiency. These include all pregnant women, breast-fed babies, children under five, and people aged 65 and over. Also people with black or Asian skin types, and people with some gut, liver or kidney diseases can have an increased risk of vitamin D deficiency

The greatest source of Vitamin D is sun exposure. Vitamin D deficiency can occur from lack of proper sun exposure.

Vitamin D can also be ingested in diet from foods such as:

• Oily fish (such as sardines, pilchards, herring, trout, tuna, salmon and mackerel).
  • Egg yolk.
  • Fortified foods (meaning they have vitamin D added to them) such as margarine, some cereals, infant formula milk.

Human behaviour, specifically the sun avoidance of the modern lifestyle, is the predominant factor influencing the rise we see in vitamin D deficiency today.

Symptoms of vitamin D deficiency can include:

• General aches and pains.
  • In more severe deficiency, there may be more severe pain and also weakness. This may lead to difficulty standing up or climbing stairs, or can lead to the person walking with a waddling pattern. This is known as osteomalacia.
  • Bone pains may develop and are typically felt in the ribs, hips, pelvis, thighs and feet.

A deficiency in vitamin D should not be allowed to remain uncorrected for too long, even in those who are healthy.

Why have a Vitamin D test?- Surveys in the UK showed 50% of the population has ‘insufficient’ levels of Vitamin D and that 16% experience Vitamin D deficiency during spring and winter

• There is growing evidence to suggest a link between Vitamin D deficiency and chronic diseases such as cancer, MS, osteoporosis and heart disease
  • Strict criteria and financial constraints in the NHS mean it can be difficult to obtain the test from your GP
  • Optimising your vitamin D levels may have significant health benefits
  • Vitamin D deficiency is endemic throughout the world including parts of the UK

There are two vitamin D tests - Vitamin D (25 OH) and Vitamin D (1, 25 Dihydroxy). Vitamin D (25 OH) is the better marker of overall D status. It is this marker that is most strongly associated with overall health.

Blood tests for calcium and phosphate levels and liver function may also show changes linked to a low level of vitamin D.

No Wonder the doctors went on strike!

Marcus. (good luck)

I used ‘Google’ again (you’ve got me interested NOW) - my wife takes it and I don’t really know ‘what for?’

Home

Answers.com > Wiki Answers > Categories > Health > Alternative Medicine > Vitamins and Supplements > What is the scientific name for Vitamin D?

What is the scientific name for Vitamin D?

In: Vitamins and Supplements [Edit categories]

Ads
Ads

Answer:

There are two main types of Vitamin D ( calciferol) : ergocalciferol (vitamin D2) and activated cholecalciferol (vitamin D3).

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_scientific_name_for_Vitamin_D#ixzz1wWjIB8hg

‘Good question though!’

Marcus.

If it’s the same as my GPs, there will probably be three numbers. One is for vitamin D2, one for D3 and one is the combined total. It’s the D3 one that you want.

There are two possible measurements: nmol/L and ng/mL. According to various sites, the recommended D3 levels are 125-200nmol/L which is the same as 50-80ng/mL.

Hth!

Karen x