Hello...bit scared, just wondering if anyone can..talk?

Hi… im new to all this, I have family members with MS so i know what happens, I just want someone to talk to as I have my first neuro appointment today and im a bit…anxious.

I started having tingling like pins and needles in my left foot about 2 years ago then in went into my left hand, i cant remember when… the tingling doesnt last long, maybe only a few hours, but after i had it i would drop stuff… i dismissed it until last month when it happened in my right hand and after that my speech wasnt coming out properly,also i was exhaused to the point where i couldnt stay awake at all, a bit liek when you are really tired and you go to bed but cant sleep?? it felt the same, although only when i was awake… i used to work two jobs and keep the house really well but i just couldnt keep on top of it. With the speech it was like my head wasnt following though! like, i tired to tell the dog to go in the utility room and it came out “get in the bin”

Also, my hand was cramping up and it was hard to use cutlery but only in my left hand…

It has gone away now and i saw the GP and she referred me to a neurologist and for bloods, which all came back fine…

does this sound similar to anyone? what will they do?

Sorry to bother you

Hannah

Hi Hannah,

Very warm welcome.

Bit busy at mo but this will tell you the type of test etc. to expect with Neuro http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/diagnosingms.html

George

Hi, it could be one of many things, as so many things are blamed on MS, when it`s not MS.

I say this as it`s what happened to me…for 14 yrs!

The neuro will do a full neurological test and may send you for MRI.

Just re-read your post…have you seen the neuro yet?

luv Pollx

Hello

Thanks for replying :slight_smile:

I saw the neurologist that day and he has referred me for an MRI… he didnt really do many tests, just asked me to do a couple of thing and then said he looked at my family history and I need an MRI - are these as horrible as said!

how long did all your diagnosing take? is being sent for an MRI a good thing?

Does it mean they think that it is? I have felt so ill for such a long time I am sort of excited to get this over wti so at least I know whats going on…

Hannah x

Hiya Hannah - MRi will show up any lesions or abnormalities in the brain - my results showed lesions that are “typical” with MS but you never know because MS differs in everyone and you may not be in that group anyway…

good luck

Stephen x

Hi, yes it is good to have an MRI. It will give your neuro a better chance of understanding your symptoms.

I`ve had 4 MRIs and none were awful. But different people have differing opinions on this.

It can feel claustrophobic. but just close your eyes and drift off in your imagination.

They can play music through headphones, if you like.

luv Pollx

Hi Hannah

As Poll says, the MRI will give the neuro a better idea of what is causing your symptoms. Try not to worry about it, I found it best to relax and imagine I was somewhere warm and sunny on holiday. It can be quite noisy though so you have to be good at tuning out unwanted noise - luckily I’m one of 5 children so that’s easy for me ;-).

The appointments for MRI and follow up with the neuro can take a while so try to get on with life and be patient. The neuro will get to the bottom of it eventually.

Good luck, I’m glad your symptoms have settled down now.

Tracey x

hi Rachael,

just wanted to chip in about mri. Im very claustrophobic and so was terrified. It took three attempts and 15 mins to get me in, i didnt want to be put sleep. In the end i just thought it needed be done. They gave me a blindfold and i pretended i was in bed. as for all the noise i imagined it was next door doing diy. It was over with much quicker than a previous heart one id had done so in the end it wasnt too bad. I’m scheduled for another and am not frightened, as i managed it last time. so try not to think about it until you’re there, and just keep in mind why you’re having it done and you’ll be fine

Hope that helps?

kel

x

hi Rachael,

just wanted to chip in about mri. Im very claustrophobic and so was terrified. It took three attempts and 15 mins to get me in, i didnt want to be put sleep. In the end i just thought it needed be done. They gave me a blindfold and i pretended i was in bed. as for all the noise i imagined it was next door doing diy. It was over with much quicker than a previous heart one id had done so in the end it wasnt too bad. I’m scheduled for another and am not frightened, as i managed it last time. so try not to think about it until you’re there, and just keep in mind why you’re having it done and you’ll be fine

Hope that helps?

kel

x

hi Rachael,

Hope that helps?

kel

x