Has anyone seen this?

http://en.trend.az/regions/iran/2108864.html

Thought as much!

Oh perleez

They call it MS Nut – how apt

Great post. Cant imagine there is anything in it but wouldnt it be great if the syrup does the trick!.

Peter

HO HUM! Yawn!

Somebody cynical (who, me?) will point out the disparity between the MSRC data for the area (low risk) and the population of MS sufferers given in the article. Look at:

50,000 out of 75 million does seem a bit out of proportion for such a research effort (unless they plan on selling it to the rest of the world.
Someone will post here blaming “big pharma” for the fact that it has been witheld for so long.
If it works, it will be 10 years before NICE will approve it.

Must ask my neuro about it next week, and wait for it to be featured on the Barts MS Blogspot.

Geoff

Interesting you should mention the Barts MS Blog, because Professor G has talked about an MS epidemic in Iran. If you search Iran on the site it does come up with quite a few hits. No mention of syrup though.

Now I am not sure how many people are needed to make an epidemic, but it does suggest there is possibly an environmental problem and women seem to be hit hardest.

Apparently, this chap has worked with Professor G.

I re-read the original article, and there are a few hints about the increase.
Of course, no official would want to announce an “epidemic” - whatever that is, but the tiny comment about the effect of the MS growth-rate is (with hind-sight) a bit of a giveaway.

The youtube link posted by whammel, above, is definitely from a conference, somewhere - so it was a fair bet that the work had been peer-reviewed. It did not take too much searching to find the good doctor’s own website:

and a look through the papers he has had published does suggest that a whole lot of people have rated his work highly.

A development to watch, for sure.

Geoff

Iran do seem to spending alot of money at the moment on breakthroughs in meds and treatments. I imagine if it works they will be selling worldwide. One to keep an eye on thats for sure.

I definately think that china and the far east are advancing on both technologies, medicines and treatments far faster that us in the west. I truly believe this is because we are under so much red tape, restrictions, ethics etc which is slowing us down and making our research more expensive. I know this from the industry that I used to work in textiles. To name one eample, we had to spend a fortune cleaning the water we used before we returned it to the lake/sea etc. Which naturally is the right thing to do, but our competitors in the far east just dumped it! We had to put our prices up to cover the cost so priced ourselves out of the market. Therefore we couldnt compete and had to close hence loss of 200 jobs! Our textile industry in the UK is now nil!

I have a close friend working in cancer research who is constantly frustrated at how slow things are processed.

We are doing the right thing but our competitors are not playing the same ball game - we have extra hurdles to jump through (which they dont) therefore cant get to the finish line as quickly.

Regards

Moyna

About 20 years back, my son was in the Los Ageles County Hospital (biggest in the world at the time) with cancer. Ome of the Physicians said to me that he envied the NHS, because they could approve new drugs much faster than the US FDA - he quoted 5 years versus 10 years.

When you have seen the horror stories of “drugs” being mixed in a small cement mixer “somewhere in the Far East”, it makes you wonder what really happens. Of course, our Health and Safety do not work the way they should to help our industries - they just seem to follow their own rule book (yes, I have some horror stories that would really surprise you), and I have seen some reported medical research (US) that was seriously flawed. The clasic example of what happens when things go wrong (or are not done properly) is, of course, Thalidomide.

At what point do you give up “Safe” and start saying “Sorry”?

Geoff