Brand new to this website, but not to MS research unfortunately. The main reason for my post is to wrap my head around this whole diagnosis process and to maybe find some advice in the meantime. My story is as follows (please bear with me…)
Late January 2017: Woke up one morning feeling “foggy” and fatigued; felt almost as if I was having a really bad allergic reaction to the weather which I get sometimes in the early spring before it rains (feeling heavy, difficulty concentrating, feeling “dream-like”, pain in temples). This fogginess lasted a couple weeks and then began getting worse. I was having difficulty concentrating at work, could not remember the simplest things at my job and couldn’t hold or remember a conversation.
Early February 2017: Speech, fine/gross manipulation and leg issues began; I started to slur my words, could not think of the appropriate word to say in a conversation, was unable to firmly hold onto objects, dropping things easily and my legs were SO heavy. They felt like lead; As I was wedding dress shopping, the backs of my legs right underneath my buttocks in my upper hamstrings starting feeling so weak that I had to sit down or I was afraid they were just going to give out from underneath me. It is not necessarily a burning pain (thankfully), but I feel a constant weakness and discomfort whether I’m sitting or walking. I also began sleeping 10-12 hours a night and still woke up severely fatigued.
Middle February 2017: Went to the ER one night because of the leg weakness; negative CT scan and negative brain MRI. Followed up with a retina specialist that could not find any signs of optic neuritis. Met with neuro that said my physical exam was grossly normal: (-) Hoffman’s, Babinskis and Romberg’s with normal strength and sensation w/exception of no vibratory sense in my right big toe. I began having pins and needles in both feet and trouble typing in both hands; sluggish and slow. However, I STILL could not shake the fatigue or brain fog.
Beginning of March 2017: All physical symptoms faded away, but the mental clarify issues remained. Every single day, I experience that constant “brain fog” and to a lesser extent, the mental and physical fatigue. Both my cervical and thoracic spine MRIs were (-) but all were done on a 1.5T.
Since March, I have not had a single day of relief from this fogginess. I have since seen an immunologist, endocrinologist, ID specialist, cardiologist, ENT specialist and allergist. ALL findings and blood work have come back normal.
I see an MS specialst in NYC at the TISCH MS research center who said he doesn’t feel the need for an LP and doesn’t think it’s MS based on the clear MRIs and totality of the symptom picture. He did, however, provide me with a script for another brain MRI to see if anything else has popped up.
***My questions are threefold:
Has anyone had the experience of having all three MRIs done on a 1.5T and then having repeat MRIs on a 3T with different results? Basically, did the 3T find something that the 1.5 did not which lead to a diagnosis?
Since I have had lasting symptoms (brain fog and fatigue), if I have MS, am I more likely to have PPMS rather than RRMS?
Has anyone had success with any medications (MS-only meds or others) that have helped with the fogginess? My GP has suggested either Adderall or depression medication (Wellbutrin or Cymbalta), but I am hesitant to do so.
The last question is more of an opinion question because I need guidance from people who can empathise with my position rather than sympathise… I am engaged and our wedding is scheduled for 10/2017. My fiance loves me and he says he wants to marry me regardless of a diagnosis. But I just can’t do it…I just can’t seemingly commit him to a possible lifetime of care-giving and of the unknown (if this is actually MS). I know the disease progression is different for everyone, but I just think I would feel so guilty going into this knowing this is a very real possibility. He is considerably younger than me and I just feel like he can rebuild and start over even if I can’t. I love him enough to let him go for his own sake. I don’t know if I should go through with the repeat MRI in September (on a 3T) and risk the chance of finding something and then cancelling the wedding…or if I should wait until after the wedding in November and take things from there. I just need to know that this feeling of hopelessness is not uncommon.
Thank you for your time.