Fnd and babinski

Finally saw a neuro again today after waiting for a year. Walked in and he said “youve got this diagnosis of fnd…just wondering whats troubling you” i said no one has diagnosed me with fnd. My doctor referred me again after i showed him i was still having symptoms and a positive babinksi to which my doctor had said that was not normal…i mentioned that to the neurologist today to which he said THATS TOTALLY FINE SOME PEOPLE JUST HAVE THAT ITS THE WAY THEYRE WIRED. Literally everything i have read says its not fine and my gp said it wasnt. The neuro said they will do another mri of head and neck and see if anything has changed…previously id had an mri and they said it was normal 3 years ago but there was 1 lesion there which has been there since 2008 which i had to find out myself from my medical records. I just cant believe how gaslighted i feel…i feel like im in hell at the moment

They don’t usually commission scans if they don’t think it’s worth having a look. So my suggestion would be to take comfort that there will be more information soon and that more information is generally a good thing.

1 Like

Yeah my mum said the same thing. It just made me feel like I’d gone mad when he said babinksi sign was “normal” i just dont understand why he would say that to be honest. I tend to take things like that really seriously because im 100% sure im autistic :laughing:

1 Like

When something is presented as a statement of fact, we do take it seriously; what else would we do? But it is also worth remembering that your neurologist does know a fair bit about this stuff - more than you and me noodling on the Net and probably more than your GP who dimly remembers a lecture on neurological signs one wet Wednesday long ago. :slight_smile:

Yeah i get that however theres nowhere that says the babinksi sign is normal in an adult. Also in FND your reflexes are normal as well as far as i know

1 Like

Don’t get too hooked up on the positive Babinski as there can be false positives and false negatives. The MRI scan is a test of much greater relevance.

1 Like