Forum

Feeling a bit down after last night

Hi, so last night i was standing still in my flat, and suddenly I lost balance and dropped on the floor and almost broke my arm, i cant bend my fingers properly. I have balance problems for quite a while and was always able to balance my self out but this time my body just betrayed me and i do feel a bit down again.

The nasty thoughts starting to creep into my head again like whats the point of life blah blah… the reality is im 28, i have nothing apart from my mum who brings me food and gives me money, and i just sit at home looking for a job, feeling lonely, isolated, having to take shitty buses to get to a job centre. I know a lot of you are worse than me mobility wise, but its not just my mobility its the mental state that im in, and right now im in a scary place of emptiness.

Most of you here got struck my ms in later stage of your life, when you already had, wifes/husbands, children, grand children, jobs, houses, experienced different things in life, I started to experience ms symptoms in my twenties, so my youth went down the drain.

Dont expect anyone to understand how it feels like to be me, but anyway, im writing this post not to get sympathy or attention, im hoping to get a little advice on how to improve my balance and ESPECIALLY how to get out of this mental misery.

Thanks for reading, appreciate that

Hi,

I was thinking earlier today about how grateful I am that I didn’t get MS until my fifties. Then I thought, what about all the people who weren’t so lucky?

Well now I know, it’s people like you. You do have my sympathy and you certainly have my attention.

I do know that having to report to a job centre, every fortnight, is the most belittling, crushing and demoralising activity devised by a modern nation. It’s a waste of your education and a waste of your youth. You’ve probably got a lot to contribute, given a chance.

The trouble is we don’t know anything about you.

So, to give the Forum a chance, tell us a bit more about yourself, (but not so much as to affect your privacy) and we’ll see what the old fogeys on here can suggest, using the experience of their years.

We’ve got to be of some use. After all some of us are nearly pensioners.

Best wishes,

John

2 Likes

hi John, indeed your a lucky guy, more lucky than others thats for sure. Well, im 28 years old, i have PPMS apparently, last year i graduated with a degree in computer science and since then been looking for a suitable job… oh yeah, i like to play computer games and play electric guitar heavy metal mostly, thats the only things that keeps me going. Im trying to find younger people with similar condition, but unfortunately there are not many. And like I mentioned before, most of older folks have their lifes settled, so i dont think there is much in common.

hi kelics

ms is a cruel barsteward hitting on someone so young.

so for your balance:-

wii-fit has a section of exercises for balance.

it shows your centre of gravity so you can correct yourself when needed.

your GP can refer you to a gym for a course of sessions, you can ask a trainer for balance exercises.

you’ll be meeting new people as well.

meeting people:-

i’m a member of a facebook group called Ladies with Lesions.

it covers the whole of the uk but we asked where everybody lived and there are about 15 who can get to the harvester near me so we meet for lunch every few months.

you could start a group of your own. maybe under 30’s with long term conditions.

there are many other long term conditions and it’s good to get to know people with something that is not ms.

anyway hope we have managed to make you feel a little more positive.

carole x

1 Like

[quote=“catwomanCarole58”]

hi kelics

ms is a cruel barsteward hitting on someone so young.

so for your balance:-

wii-fit has a section of exercises for balance.

it shows your centre of gravity so you can correct yourself when needed.

your GP can refer you to a gym for a course of sessions, you can ask a trainer for balance exercises.

you’ll be meeting new people as well.

meeting people:-

i’m a member of a facebook group called Ladies with Lesions.

it covers the whole of the uk but we asked where everybody lived and there are about 15 who can get to the harvester near me so we meet for lunch every few months.

you could start a group of your own. maybe under 30’s with long term conditions.

there are many other long term conditions and it’s good to get to know people with something that is not ms.

anyway hope we have managed to make you feel a little more positive.

carole x

[/quote] Hey Carole, thanks for your comment! Exactly what i was looking for, advice not sympothy!!. Im going to try and create a fb group and maybe even make a website similar to this one. I tried pilattes, other balance exerices but nothing been effective so far. Im going to see ms nurse soon amd also will contact my gp and in the meantime look for ways to improve balance. Thanks again Carole you made me feel better :slight_smile: Have a nice day! Jev.

Hi, you’re thoughts are now going in the right direction…seeing your GP and ms nurse.

It is a real swine when ms robs us of so many things. We can feel bitter, angry, lonely etc, but we have to find a way through and talking to folk here is one way of doing that.

Pollsx

1 Like

Kelics

Have a look at Shift MS (if you havnt already) - it was set up by a chap called George who was diagnosed young (22) (all be it with RRMS rather than PPMS). He found it difficult to meet people of the same age and mind set with the condition, even on line - so established Shift. There are a lot of younger MSers on there

1 Like

thank you very much Katy, im still exploring this website, but it looks like something i was looking for !!

Old Fogey? Never!

Nearly a pensioner? Certainly not, I already am one.

Kelics: I’ve been unemployed, standing in line to sign on once a fortnight, and I agree with you, it’s absolute bloody misery.

Taking classes got me out of the rut, but I see you’ve just done all that.

Can you expand on your music in any way? Is there a local scene where you are? I play a bit of sax sometimes, not particularly well, but it always changes my mood. Heavy metal must surely get a few things out of your system.

Keep playing!

Ben

1 Like

I got ms in my twenties too and im a massive pc gamehead. When i cant engage my brain because of the brain fog, gaming really helps. So i feel you there bro! Gyms a good plan too, and maybe see if you can get your gp to refer you to a neuro-physiotherapist for super appropriate exercises, specific to your problems. Balance training genuinely helped me if thats any encouragement- got those exercises from my neuro physio -plus got me into doing all kinds of other exercise, you can build up tiny bit at a time. I even do free weights now! Like, 2kg but still. The progres is real and tangible and feels great. I find it slightly easier to get upstairs now cause of the work on muscle strength. Wont stop the ms etc but helps get the absolute most out of iyour body that you can. Mayb check out do-it .org to see if theres any good volunteer roles you could do til you get a job. Gets you out the house, forces you to change perspective. Looking at four walls drives you doo lally when youre stuck with it amirite. Theres literally all kinds of stuff on there, even home based. Lastly, iif theres other jobs going where you live, id suggest looking for a part time job if you can - even something light thats maybe not the main comp science end game job youre after - for the same reasons, just to help get out of that head spaceand put cash in your pocket til you find something more permanent. Good luck :slight_smile: youre not alone with these problems!

[quote=“Compass”]

I got ms in my twenties too and im a massive pc gamehead. When i cant engage my brain because of the brain fog, gaming really helps. So i feel you there bro! Gyms a good plan too, and maybe see if you can get your gp to refer you to a neuro-physiotherapist for super appropriate exercises, specific to your problems. Balance training genuinely helped me if thats any encouragement- got those exercises from my neuro physio -plus got me into doing all kinds of other exercise, you can build up tiny bit at a time. I even do free weights now! Like, 2kg but still. The progres is real and tangible and feels great. I find it slightly easier to get upstairs now cause of the work on muscle strength. Wont stop the ms etc but helps get the absolute most out of iyour body that you can. Mayb check out do-it .org to see if theres any good volunteer roles you could do til you get a job. Gets you out the house, forces you to change perspective. Looking at four walls drives you doo lally when youre stuck with it amirite. Theres literally all kinds of stuff on there, even home based. Lastly, iif theres other jobs going where you live, id suggest looking for a part time job if you can - even something light thats maybe not the main comp science end game job youre after - for the same reasons, just to help get out of that head spaceand put cash in your pocket til you find something more permanent. Good luck :slight_smile: youre not alone with these problems!

[/quote] Cheerz dude, much appreciate your advice. Gaming has been the most effective problem solver, but it doesnt pay the bills. If i could earn money by playing games, i would just stay at my pc 24/7 :slight_smile:

Hi Jev,

How about contacting Admin on this Forum for a separate listing for younger people with MS? I know that this isn’t the first time that the this subject has been raised. I’d support the idea and I think that other “members” would too.

John

Hi John,

I think there are forums and social pages for younger people who affected by neurological condition, the lady shared a nice website in the above comment. Its just a process of interacting with people and getting the right information, thats what im doing.