FaceTime

My son and his family are in Florida with other family and friends. They have just been in touch via FaceTime, its the first time I have used it and it’s amazing. Donna (sons partner) gave me a tour of their Villa and showed me the view from the balcony. My Granddaughter, Grace aged 2 3/4 told me all about her visit to sea world and said “miss you Grandma I love you”

They are there for two weeks I was going to go for a week to share the kids excitement when they saw all their favourite characters (Grace loves Micky Mouse). I changed my mind because I knew sitting in the blazing sun waiting for everyone to go on rides etc would be a nightmare, Donna said I made the right decision, it’s too hot with no shade and because there is so many of them (16) everything takes ages when they are all together. It would have been nice to be there but I’m so pleased they are having a great time and FaceTime brings it closer much better than a postcard.

I’m only 54 bbut it’s hard to believe how things have changed these last thirty years or so.

Jan x

3 Likes

Hi Jan

I have heard of Skype, so I presume it must be a similar thing, but I agree, things have really changed in the last years, and a lot of it has left me behind.

I think you jade the right decision not going, even though it was a shame, but in the long run ITT makes sense to steer clear of things that will make your problems worse, its difficult enough to cope with as it is.

They will have loads to tell you when they return, and lots of pictures too.

Pam x

2 Likes

Haven’t tried Skype either Pam but like you I imagine it’s the same. I googled a flight to travel the next day and it had halved in price, no intention of going just curious. Getting pics every day via Facebook, which is great but it kind of takes the anticipation away. By the time they get home I’ll know all about it before they land!

Jan x

1 Like

Hi Jan,

My youngest daughter face timed me when she was in New York earlier in the year, I thought it was amazing.

It’s been a bittersweet day for me. We all went out for a meal to say goodbye to my baby who is moving to Edinburgh tomorrow.

She starts uni in September and her and her partner are renting a flat down there.

It only hut me tonight that they were really going. I must admit I have been teary since I came home.

I am really going to miss her, not only is she my youngest she is also my friend and computer consultant but she gives me a good metaphoric kick in the bum when I need it.

i know it’s only a few hours down the road and I will see her loads but when uni ends they are not sure if they are coming back. Her partner works off shore so he can stay anywhere.

Saying that there is a big wide world out there so good luck to them.

a teary Mags xx

1 Like

Ah of course you feel teary it’s a milestone in the life of your youngest and also a milestone in your life. FaceTime will be great to keep in touch.

I read something years ago about giving our children roots and wings, wings to fly and roots to come home to. I wish I could remember the quote properly but I’m sure you have given her roots and wings. It’s hard to watch them fly but you gave her the confidence to do it.

Take care

Jan x

1 Like

If I could give you many things,
I’d give you gold and silver rings
Of knowledge that I’ve gained with years
The gift of smiling through the tears
Confidence, courage, determination,
Laughter and spirit and love of creation,
Wrapped up in a box with a bow, I’d give
To you these gifts to keep for as long as you live.
“If I could give you just two things,
One would be Roots, the other, Wings.”
Roots, not to tie you to the ground,
But to guide you to where your fulfillment is found
The nourishing start, the firm foundation,
The source of your inner determination.
Wings to soar over obstacles, wings to fly free,
Wings to glide to the heights of the best you can be.
And when obstacles loom, from your Roots grows a hand
Providing a strong, sturdy,safe place to land.
I’d choose these two things for the gifts that are best,
For with Roots and with Wings, you’ll find all the rest!

3 Likes

Thank you so much Jan, that was really lovely.

What a beautiful quote!

i am going to write it down and read it now and again.

Mags xx

2 Likes

Lovely isn’t it. I emailed It to myself so I don’t forget it.

Jan x

2 Likes

That’s beautiful Jan.

Skye and Facetime are the same yes. I talk to my grandson on Skype. They live up in Lincoln and I’m in London so it’s a great way to stay in touch… except he moves about so much by the end I feel a bit seasick!

We are so lucky to have all this technology. Remember years ago talking about phones where you could see the other person… gosh it sounded so space-age… & now we have them & can use them for free.

However I’m still waiting for the Star Treck beam machine… surely someone should have invented that by now.

Beam me up Scottie…

Night all,

Pat xx

2 Likes

Sounds great my kids, youngest is 24 his week use it all the time I am old 58 and I feel18 but I cant keep up with technology. Sounds like they are having a good time but I doubt I could cope in the heat.

Don

3 Likes

Pat I remember using the phone box we didn’t have a phone at home till I moved out. I’m still waiting for the moving pavements just to have them at airports isn’t good enough! (Remember the Jetsons TV cartoon)

Don I’m a bit concerned about he heat, I managed last year by staying in the pool most of the time, everywhere indoors has aircon so I decided to risk it.

Jan x

2 Likes

Thats what I’m waiting for Pat, a beam me up Scottie machine!

Nina x

2 Likes

Good luck today Mags,

Its a long long time since my son left home but never the less I remember the day very well! Its a massive thing for you so I am not suprised you feel tearful.

Keep your chin up, thinking of you,

Nina x

2 Likes

I spent much of my life in South Africa and rerurned to the UK in 2000 with my 2 year old daughter, leaving my parents and her other family over there. It was extremely difficult but life (safety) and nursing over there was becoming unbearable and salaries were so bad that working as a Sister in A+E didn’t qualify me for a mortgage and just covered my rent and utilities, I couldn’t even afford a telephone. If we didn’t receive maintenance we didn’t eat. It was very difficult and moving to the UK seemed to be my only option as nursing here actually pays a living wage.

We didn’t have SKYPE then but I bought an old used computer, got a webcam and microphone and somebody taught me what to press and click to turn it all on and that’s how we kept in touch with my parents, it was fantastic. Yes it was dial up and unreliable but we had a good relationship with my parents who could watch Jen grow up. Services are much better now, but I’d never have coped without it.

And the internet has now made it possible to chat to you all. What a wonderful thing technology is (when it works).

Cath xx

2 Likes

beam me up scottie,machine, now theres a thought Pat lol…

J x

1 Like

Well the family are back from their holidays and a great time was had by all.

Grace came to stay yesterday, she slept from 12.30 till 4.30 yesterday afternoon and from 11.30 last night and is still sleeping now. She will be well and truly over her jet lag when she finally wakes up. Takes after her dad when it comes to sleeping, he could sleep 12 hours solid from being a baby. He’s up with the larks these days but that’s what adulthood does to you.

Have a nice day.

Jan x

1 Like