Forum

Experiences with 'your' DEA

Before I come up with my experiences, I would like to know what your experiences are with ‘your’ DEA…

I can let you know at this stage that I appreciate the person who deals with me but…

I do apologise beforehand if this is not even an issue to you anymore, it’s actually meant for MSers who are still in the ‘grey’ area (still able to do certain jobs at a certain pace…).

FYI, I was officially diagnosed with MS in 2003 (just when starting a new job which did not help…), I still have a Dutch passport (have never been bothered to change it because of the EC) and we have a now 13 year old daughter with GDD (Global Developmental Delay).

I mention all this because can you imagine the face of any person interviewing me digesting all that? (honest I feel I have to be…)

Anyway, too many bad experiences have now made me claim for Incapacity Benefit (or whatever it is now being called…) and I am awaiting their reply. There are limits to how much a person can take under certain pressurised circumstances as ours!

BTW, if there is a (PT) job out there, and people involved ARE understanding for as far as possible, then here’s your man! I do not choose to be on benefits, our so called ‘equal’ society forces me to be on benefits, in spite of everything I have on offer (administrative skills, caring skills also professional!, language skills in Dutch, English, German et un petit peu de français…), it’s just all at a slower pace at times…, but the commitment you would get back for it is most certainly above average!!

I will now finish the last bit of my glass of wine, that I am still able to enjoy in ‘reduced’ quantities…

Looking forward to YOUR stories, experiences…

What is DEA? I must be a bit thick???

bren

Silly Dutchman I can be… I just assumed that you knew!

DEA is Disability Employment Advisor…:slight_smile:

I must be thick too Bren, because i didnt know what it was either lol. Hope your ok.

jaki xx

A very good morning to you,

My son had a DEA for a few months then the government pulled the plug and he ended up back at the jobcentre. He lost his first job (long story). He has learning difficulties yet because disability discrimination is now illegal its ignored in the sense its not mentioned and he had to apply for jobs as anyone else! To me that defeats the object of him having problems in the first place. As for support now - its me - his mother.

Now hes been left alone to get on with it. Is struggling. Hes had only a few interviews over the past few months and of course Ive had to coach him in telling prospective employers he has speech and language problems yet is practical and willing to do anything, so please give him a chance! I think we have to fight our own corner but more thought could have gone into people living with a disability who already have massive hurdles to overcome.

I think its all hype about help available. Maybe once youve got a suitable job accommodations can be made however where are the jobs, caring employers and advisors at each step of the way?

I wish you every luck. If youve got loads of energy, contacts and have a skill people want you should be ok, however if youve got multitude problems the government are likely to try pull the plug then call those desperate to work spongers - regardless of how sick or disabled you are.

Its a very cruel world out there at the mo.

bren

…just seen your profile Brenda! It certainly helps to have a bit of background info.

I ‘have’ SPMS myself and, more importantly (as everything in life is relative…), we also have a daughter with severe learning difficulties.

It is hard enough to stay upright myself and with my daughter requiring 24/7 guidance and attention, ‘things’ are really really hard at times.

Still I am blessed with a very stable marriage (so there is some stability…) necessary to face lots of uncertainties and worries on a daily basis.

I hope you too have some kind of ‘assistance’ to keep you going.

All the best, regards Jos.