Forum

Exercise?

Just got back from my sons rugby training, helping out as a coach, basically knackered! Should I be doing this? Will it do any harm or will i benefit from it? Should I do certain types of exercise? Probably should be asking the MS nurse but am still waiting for referall. Cheers, Chris.x

Hello Chris, I don’t know your present condition so I can’t be too accurate. Pacing yourself is really tricky. You won’t really do any harm if you get cream crackered but recovery will be longer. Think of yourself as a low car battery. If you know it will go flat after a few turns you won’t keep trying to turn it over! When I used to teach junior PE, I became very good at getting the children to do all the active things-I did not demonstrate. I also frequently stopped or paused games to have a “thinking” time out. Lots of little tricks really, designed to save precious energy. There is no reason why you should stop doing this sort of thing. Obviously your experience will count for lots! Best wishes Steve. (Sorry about the continuous prose, I have no return key function on this forum!)

Hi Chris,

I have kept up my gym and dance classes when I can. It really is a matter of relearning what your body can do. I know the difference between MS fatigue rearing its ugly head and when I just being a lazy cow. For the former, I will do a reduced workout or even skip completely if its really bad and for the latter I will probably skip the gym but I do feel guilty about it hehe

You may feel you get tired more easily or can’t do things - I can’t physically run anymore or even jump properly.

Currently I have been having - say a mini-relapse - where my left leg gets very tired and has a bit of spasticity. So when I go to the gym I’ve been using the stepper more. I don’t have to worry about placing my feet.

I would say to keep up your exercise for as long as you can but listen to what your body is telling you and don’t push too hard.

JellyBellyKelly x

Chris,

Steve & Kelly have offered great advice - hope this makes sense to you?

Steve,

Have a look at this thread about your browser issue:

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/forum/everyday-living/my-return-key-wont-work#comment-form

Best regards,

Dom

Hi Chris,

I cycle and a walk a lot. I love it. I think that you can overdo it though i.e. overheating your body. I started jogging and it was just too much for me. I thought that I would be OK as I can cycle twenty miles quite easily but it just absoultely did me in, so I gave up on that and just continue to cycle and walk. I am lucky.

I think that you have to judge it for yourself. Just don’t overdo it.

Adrian

Agree with everything written thus far. Always keep active. If you can’t demonstrate, say, a tackle or pop-pass as well as you would like then get one of the more able players to help you out. When coaching kids, imparting your knowledge/wisdom is perhaps even more important than physically demonstrating particular skills.

l can hardly walk - certainly not unaided - but l still get on my exercise machines for a few minutes a day. l have a HealthRider - and an Eliptical Trainer and a Powerplate machine. After having a ‘go’ - l feel so much better in myself. The ‘Feel Good Factor’. Weight training is supposed to be good for us as well. Just getting over a total hip-replacement - and its going well - need to build up muscles now. l have had a couple of sessions of physio at the rehab dept. And the physio really puts me through it making the muscles stretch and relax as they are so tight. The pain is pretty bad - but you know it is ‘good’ pain and that it is working the muscles well.

l have had SPMS for 31yrs - and l am a firm believer in ‘lf you can do it - then carry on’. When l feel l can’t do anymore - then l make myself go just that bit further. lt could be determination - or it might be pig-headedness - but l certainly am not giving up trying. ln my wet-room - l have a rugby poster - and on it is ‘A Champion is someone who gets up -even when they can’t!.’

Thanks all!

You know what? I’ve found that building more lean muscle through weight training has helped me no end. It keeps blood going to my muscles and the strength I’ve gained makes using cruches easier (when I need them). I’m also lighter which helps.

I do get a lot more fatigued than most, but for me the benefits outweigh that.

I saw the physio for first time today and she said if you don’t use it, you lose it - that had been exactly what I was worrying about! I was relieved to find there were things I can do to improve areas that have been going a bit pear-shaped at the moment. Definitely keep going but don’t exhaust yourself :slight_smile: Sonia x

Chris,

I was very active until I had to stop playing football 10 years ago at age 39. I’ll be 50 next week. Until I was 46 I used to coach my son’s football team and I loved it. In the early years, I could demonstrate what I wanted them to do. Like Steve, after a while I had to use a few of the better players and have them show the other kids what to do. After a while the legs were so bad I have to give up. The guy who took over from me understood MS and asked me to help out at training and at matches when I thought I was able to which was great for me because although I couldn’t help all of the time, I could help when I was feeling good. Now I just watch and I wish I could do more. You’ll no better than anyone what you’re able to do and not able to do.

Derek

I personally work out for 30 mins every other day as I find it helps with my fatigue. If I dont work out I become sluggish and fatigue strikes.

I personally work out for 30 mins every other day as I find it helps with my fatigue. If I dont work out I become sluggish and fatigue strikes.