Employment Advice

Hi,

:slight_smile:

I was diagnosed with RRMS in 2015. In my recent performance review I was accused of dozing off in meetings which is not true. I explained how I suffer from sensory overload when so many things are happening so have to close my eyes to focus on what is being said.

Anyway, this led to me thinking on the legality of this claim. I understand that employers aren’t allowed to discriminate and as my condition is something my employer is aware of are they allowed to actually make these claims?

Thank you.

You can contact your local Citizens Advice and they can help with issues relating to employees rights etc.

Equality commission https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en is who i would suggest speaking too on such matters. As you have Ms you are automatically classed as disabled under the Equality act so do have some protection from discrimination.Your employer certainly has a legal duty to make reasonable adjustments to help you continue to do your job.

Also contact Acas and seek advice. A truely good line manager would not assume and make up stories but look impartially at a situation and be descreet. I whole heartidly would not do that to one of my team. What should of happened is if they had an issue, was to raise it first and have an honest conversation with open questions to ascertain everything. If you have it in writting and there was not a proper conversation recorded of what was said I would use it as evidence to raise a grievance. Did they document your response? Absolute plum of a manager!

Unfortunately he only documented that I don’t pay attention in meetings and only verbally said I fall asleep. He even suggested I go to bed early and not stay up late. Seeing as I’m always in bed on time made me feel very cross. I have raised a complaint to HR but am a bit concerned he’ll weasel his way out of it and somehow get me in trouble :frowning: I’ll take a look at the links you’ve all provided. Much appreciated.

If you were to take it further, they’ll ask them what they said in your review and because they’re an idiot I guarantee he’ll say what he said and for him to inadvertidley make himself guilty. You shouldn’t get into any kind of trouble. You raised it for a reason and they have to respect the way you feel about it. Definately some learning points coming their way. Kind regards,

ACAS were very helpful when I was having problems at work. I highly recommend them. The union were helpful up to a point but it was a stressful and upsetting time, My union rep accompanied to meetings with HR (which I found nerve wracking and intimidating) and he pointed out to them that how I was being treated was illegal. This was where the support and advice from ACAS was invaluable. I hope your issues are resolved swiftly and you are happy with the outcome. Good luck