DWP, the Department for Wraiths and Phantoms

You think you’ve seen one and then it’s gone.

Since the failed Tory leader IDS left the DWP post in 2016, having lasted a gruelling 6 years, we have endured the meddlings of the following:

Stephen Crabb

Damian Green

David Gauke

Esther McVey

I am reassured to read, in her resignation letter, that the blessed Saint Esther was proud of her work at the DWP. It must be a lovely feeling to be so deluded.

Place your best for the next short lived incumbent.

3 Likes

Nicely worded Alun. I suspect that the next incumbent would have to be press ganged. Equally, the next Brexit Secretary.

Sue

The most significant name missing on this list - failed merchant banker - the unelected

Lord David Freud.

Universal Credit bad for people’s health - academics

Director of public health at Gateshead, Alice Wiseman, said the welfare reform was having a ‘shocking impact’ on the lives of claimants, adding: ‘UC is a significant concern for public health.’

Deputy council leader, Catherine Donovan, said: ‘With Christmas coming, the impact on communities and families will be extremely hard. I’m calling on Government to scrap UC as a matter of urgency.’

READ MORE…

https://welfareweekly.com/un-slams-patently-unjust-uk-social-security-system/?fbclid=IwAR2FSTerPof7l_XAlpidRfEcDJd1-LqRJW1toJzLSlWbUjcy8Oa2CCSwySI

Following on from her unfortunate Windrush experience, I think Amber Rudd is a good choice on grounds of cruelty alone and should fit right in.

4 Likes

"Amber Rudd becomes sixth work and pensions secretary since March 2016"

But will May last the weekend?

Amber Rudd, the ideal choice. Who else could leap seamlessly from one hostile environment to the next?

The art of satire is in temporary stasis as all we need to do is read the news.

4 Likes

Hello,

Esther Mcvey was heartless and spineless and its good riddance. No one can possibly be as bad her (I hope). Amber Rudd was the fall guy for misinformation by the civil service.Only time will tell if she has the guts to defend the rights of the soft underbelly of society

According to TheyWorkForYou, Rudd:

Consistently voted against paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability
0 votes for, 14 votes against, 1 absence, between 2011–2016

Consistently voted for a reduction in spending on welfare benefits
52 votes for, 0 votes against, 2 absences, between 2012–2016

Consistently voted against raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices
0 votes for, 5 votes against, in 2013

Rudd is the daughter of a stockbroker. She attended Cheltenham Ladies College and Edinburgh University before joining American investment bank JP Morgan. She became an MP in 2010.

There is no evidence that Rudd has any particular interest in, or knowledge of, welfare benefits.

4 Likes

Britain Elects
@britainelects
1h1 hour ago

Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 40% (-)
CON: 36% (-3)
LDEM: 9% (-)
UKIP: 7% (+2)
GRN: 3% (+1)

via @ComRes, 14 - 15 Nov
Chgs. w/ Sep