DVLA and PIP

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

If you have had a diagnosis of MS you are responsible for informing DVLA and your insurance company. I am not sure if the consultant has a duty to report it in the same way as safeguarding works.

Not giving a full and truthful answer in either case would be problematic.

1 Like

If you have a disability that needs reporting the the DVLA, you need to do so asap. If you are considered safe to drive by them, and many are, then there should be no issue.

It can take a while for DVLA to get back to you, but in the meantime if your doctor hasn’t told you that you can’t drive then you still can, until you hear back from the the DVLA.

If you don’t tell them and have an accident then your insurers may well not pay out and you are effectively uninsured. If you’ve told DVLA and they’ve not yet replied, if you have an accident you will still be covered.

If they get back to you and say you can still drive, though perhaps with conditions such as needing to reapply every so many years, then no need to tell your insurers.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I am a bit confused. If I inform DVLA of my disability and they consider that I am safe to drive. Would my insurance be the same as
any normal driver. I know that my insurance would be higher if I was considered not safe to drive but diagnosed with a disability.

thanks

Under the Equalities Act I don’t think they can treat you any differently to an equivalent able bodied person, in terms of cost.

2 Likes

As far as we know, there is no direct link between the different agencies but it depends on what your GP, Consultants and others write about you. They may allude to other assessments but that is up to them.

I have PIP and enhanced ESA yet in the same timeframe, am still able to drive. I notified DVLA upon diagnosis last year but with covid lag, they didn’t write back for a whole year. I got my 10-year licence rescinded and replaced with a 3-year one. They didn’t write to or call me but clearly sought opinion from my named contacts.

All of these different agencies have different criteria. Having MS may be a clinical diagnosis but they are all interested in a functional assessment of capabilities. Clearly the criteria for driving may be different to office work, manual work or mobility.

My insurance co were pretty uninterested in my specifics. They basically follow the DVLA’s lead whether you’re safe to drive or not. DVLA may want to test someone using hand controls to be satisfied they are in control f the vehicle. Insurance co may charge more to insure because it is a modified car but not because of any implied loss of capability.

My mobility issues centre around my left leg and I would struggle to drive a manual car for any length of time. Auto transmission and I’m fine but I’d be unsafe walking around a building site. Different criteria.

2 Likes

You have to inform DVLA of your diagnosis and you also need to inform you insurance company.

DVLA will then contact you to ask how it affects you and get detials of you medical team so they can contact them to find out how it affects you. They’ll then decide on how to proceed. I went on to a 3 years license as MS was quite active. Then it changed to a 5 year license.

Insurance companies can NOT change your premium because of MS. That’d be Disability Discrimination. Everytime I’ve told an Insurance they’ve said thanks and noted it and nothing more.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know!