DVLA and medications

Can anyone help settle an argument we,ve been having, If you are taking oral morphine do you have to inform the dvla?

Someone we know is doing this and insitsts that they dont need to know whilst others are sayiny they should be told.

Opinions please.

Barbara.xx

I’m in Ireland so not sure of the UK rules but from looking at the Irish website, you don’t have to notify them of medication. Just of an illness. It does say that a driver must “adhere to prescribed medical treatment and monitor and manage their condition(s) and any adaptations with ongoing consideration of their fitness to drive.”

So from my reading of it a person doesn’t have to notify that they are on certain medications. But if the medication interferes with their ability to drive or it’s recommended that they don’t drive while on these meds, then it is their responsibility to not drive.

Is the oral morphine prescribed for a condition that has already been declared to the dvla?

No. When you tell DVLA you have MS and allowed to drive (when fit to do so), if your having a relapse or in dopey la la land you should not get behind the wheel same with taking morphine or tramadol if you feel fine to drive drive if your in any doubt or feel sleepy dont drive.

No real guidance with NHS either as its a grey area unless you crash

http://www.leicestershospitals.nhs.uk/aboutus/departments-services/pharmacy/medicine-information-leaflets-for-adult-patients/?entryid18=18880&char=M

Oh found this is you scroll down to morphine, to me that reads don’t mix with booze.

NB: Multiple substance misuse and/or dependence – including misuse with alcohol – is incompatible with licensing fitness.

https://www.gov.uk/current-medical-guidelines-dvla-guidance-for-professionals-conditions-m-to-o

You could always give them a ring and ask

Drivers medical enquiries

Telephone:0300 790 6806 (car or motorcycle)

[quote=“Karina1980”] Is the oral morphine prescribed for a condition that has already been declared to the dvla? [/quote] No the person dosnt have ms but a condition called hypersensis to pain meaning any pain felt is trebbel what anyone else will feel,and is on morphine and several other meds.we think dvla should be told but didnt know if it was compusery.

Barbara

[quote=“Hobs”]

Oh found this is you scroll down to morphine, to me that reads don’t mix with booze.

NB: Multiple substance misuse and/or dependence – including misuse with alcohol – is incompatible with licensing fitness.

https://www.gov.uk/current-medical-guidelines-dvla-guidance-for-professionals-conditions-m-to-o

You could always give them a ring and ask

Drivers medical enquiries

Telephone:0300 790 6806 (car or motorcycle)

[/quote] Thanks i read the link but it dosnt make it any clearer prob will ring on monday for clarification Barbara.xx

If they haven’t told the dvla about the diagnosis in the first instance then yes they need to declare it. I’ve pasted below why it says on the government DVLA website: 1. Telling DVLA about a medical condition or disability If you have a driving licence you must tell DVLA if: you have a ‘notifiable’ medical condition or disability your medical condition or disability has got worse since you first got your licence you develop a new medical condition or disability So if they haven’t ever informed the dvla of the diagnosis then yes they have to declare it - failure to do so can lead to revoking of driving license, insurance being void and can even result in police involvement. I couldn’t find that specific condition under the dvla list but that condition might have another name that it comes under. Even still I would suspect that it requires notification to the dvla - especially as they are taking morphine for it.

Thanks all for your replys , its not a very clear area is it maybe will ring the number that hob has put on for a bit clearer info.

Barbara.xx