Forum

Drug Test

Drugs Test This was written by a British Soldier- What he says makes a lot of sense! I work, they pay me. I pay my taxes and the government distributes my taxes as it sees fit. In order to earn that pay , I train for war and eventualy deploy. I am required to pass a random urine test for drugs, with which I have no problem… What I do have a problem with is the distribution of my taxes to people who don’t have to pass a urine test. Shouldn’t one have to pass a urine test to get a benefits cheque because I have to pass one to EARN IT for them? Please understand that I have no problem with helping people get back on their feet. I do, on the other hand, have a problem with helping someone sit on their arse drinking beer and smoking dope. Could you imagine how much money the government would save if people had to pass a urine test to get a benefit cheque? Please pass this along if you agree or simply delete it if you don’t. Hope you will pass it along though, because something has to change in the UK!!

Totally agree with above post, also the amount of money saved by not commencing illegal wars oversees, would stretch into billions and billions - and if not spent, would not have resulted in this curent recession we see today.

I’m not wanting to quarrel with the other replies, but this did make me laugh out loud, I must admit! Alison x

and so it begins… blame and judgment and degrees of suffering. may I suggest that before your military friend decides to have a peek and poke at someone else’s pot - he may wish to remove the dead rodent from his own. Many innocent children and adults have died in afghanistan and iraq and now Libya. That don’t make anyone a hero in my book. Blowing on someone else’s candle in order to make your own burn brighter is not a measure of good character. Simply a sign of ignorance. robert.

Oh, for Heaven’s sake, people - lighten up a little, please? It’s a bit of fun, and a perfectly good joke. (Sighs heavily and mutters.) Alison x

Totally agree with NorthernLights, and who would we get to administer these tests - ATOS perhaps??? Bit tired now so my brains slid off stage left but who would we be testing here? Those with lives of privilege who shoot up at will & can afford it, and their spell in The Priory '…or those who turn to the easily available and cheap narcoleptics to mist out their terrible lives of poverty on the fringe…before anyone gets back to this, where is the education for those from ‘poor’ families, where are the jobs for those who are losing them at the rate of knots…maybe the drugs are all there is…

Well. the post frm seb1901 has provoked a few responses. Of course, it may or may not be from a genuine soldier - but it does raise another thought: How about random drug and blood-alcohol tests for MPs? That way we would know if they were competent when the make decisions that affect us? The idea could, of course, be extended to a lot of officialdom. But, where would we stop? Geoff

I posted this to highlight what a lot of people believe, not to cause an argument ! My own kids grew up without a lot (financially) but never turned to drugs or booze, using their “poor life” as an excuse ! Ex military who fall on hard times should be properly supported by the government who sends them into conflict. The situations in Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya are not of our making ! Blame their, so called, leaders for what has happened, not our military. How many would have died without intervention ? As Alison says, lighten up people ! Seb

The military are not the only people who undergo random drug testing. If not taking drugs is part of your contract it’s only natural that the employer will keep an eye on it. What’s getting knickers in a twist here is that the government is the employer leading people to suggest that the government can act like an employer in other situations. If you accept a job that has a no drug policy there will be drug testing. Looking at benefits in this way is wholly ridiculous and once again puts the claimant in the role of the scrounger and the cause of all our financial problems. It is simply not possible to put yourself in another’s shoes and know what hardships or traumas there have been along the way. I don’t think we should judge.

I agree Wendals but surely unemployed people have to sign a statement saying they are “looking for work” to get their benefit. If they are taking drugs they can not be seriously looking can they ?