Forum

Dropped curbs

I was just wondering if anyone knew what the council’s obligation is to provide dropped curbs for disabled people to cross roads.

We have just moved to a bungalow (which is great) and I like nothing better than to take my dog out for a walk with my scooter. However, I’m getting really angry about the detours I’ve got to make to cross roads at a suitable place so I can get up the curb. I’ve gone as far as printing off a map and marking where there are dropped curbs and where there aren’t any. I’m going to write to the council to complain.

Even using those provided for people’s driveways isn’t a solution. They are either too steep or still not flush with the road which means I have to bump up it (at best a couple of inches) which isn’t good for me or the scooter

They can get it right as in a few random places they are flush and have the bobbled paving stones to help blind people. I don’t expect them to put in the 30 or so that need doing within 10 minutes ride from our home but a few at strategic places would be a start!

Anyone got any thought?

Sarah x

Hi, about 3 years ago, I found the same problem wheeling to the shops near me…no dropped kerbs where I needed them.

I rang the local council disability officer. She came to visit me at home and was really interested. She got the work done so quickly! It was a great result.

pollx

3 Likes

Hiya

Contact our local councillor. I couldn’t get to the school and bus stop, 6 weeks later I could!

I had an accident trying to get up kerb with helped my case but best to avoid that!

Ellie

2 Likes

Your!

Do speak to your local district councillor- even if you did not vote for him/her - tell them you did! Get them to call round to see you and get them to go with you and see for themselves the problem.

1 Like

Hi

We have a similar problem in Oldham the drop kerbs are more like drop off kerbs.

I have to plan a route ( in my head ) when going anywhere.

Tuesdays is bin collection day.

So an extra obstacle is wheely bins scattered over the pavement.

Regards

Ronin.

1 Like

Hiya Sarah, here in West Lothian, kerbs are dropped at both sides of all crossings, at most pavement corners, also the kerbs are raised at bus stops to enable mobility scooters and kids buggies easy on/off buses. This has been done in all towns and villages over the course of several years and here in the village where I stay, the rows and rows of miner cottages, which were built in the early 1900s have kerbs on one side of houses but fade down to road at the other side every second row, Brian

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for your replies. I’ve posted the letter this morning to my local councillor. I’ll let you know what happens!

Sarah x

Hi I emailed my councils highways department as my street was the only one in the area not to have drop curbs only to be told they had spent their budget for highway maintenance for this year but I would be first on the list for next year so it took about eight months but they finally did it.I kept emailing them so they wouldn’t forget but they finally did it.xDave.

Just giving you an update.

A man from the council visited me on Monday and I took him for a walk. I couldn’t have planned it better! At 2 places there were cars parked which prevented me from crossing safely and meant I needed to cross busier roads in dangerous places!

He totally understood my frustrations but obviously cost is an issue. Some of it will be funded by the councillor’s budget and the rest will be funded in the next financial year if a bid to a particular pot of money is successful.

He’s going to keep me informed as things happen. At the moment I feel it was worth complaining, we’ll see how long it takes them to rectify the problem!

Sarah x