Driving and 'breakdown' insurance


D day was 5 October 2017 following a period of blurred vision. It was blindingly obvious ​ I couldn’t drive at the onset of symptoms but I finally got back behind the wheel after six months abstinence when I finally got to see my neurologist in December (SO much waiting last year ​). When I asked him about driving he looked at me as if I was mad, until I reminded him of my symptoms (which had gone by this point).

I’ve now been driving round town for six weeks, but I’m very nervous about driving further afield. Pre-diagnosis I thought nothing of getting in the car and driving 500 miles, but now I don’t want to leave town without belt and braces risk management strategies in place. I have the hindsight to know that my symptoms had a couple of days lead up, however, in the end they came on severe overnight. I was a few hundred miles away at a friends only a few months before this started, so I’m very concerned about getting a repeat of these symptoms and being stuck away from home. How do I get me and the car back?

I’ve contacted my breakdown provider who got confused and said if I have a passenger insured to drive when I can’t and the car breaks down, the other driver will be covered, but I’m looking for cover if I breakdown! They also said this sort of cover would normally come from my insurance company but when I informed them, they’ve noted my condition (without question) but said they don’t cover me for repatriation.

What insurance do others have in place for this kind of situation?


I’ve not heard of anyone having cover in case the driver ‘breaks-down’ but the car is o.k. It’s probably not all that unusual for someone to drive somewhere and then become to ill to drive back – struck down with flu, a migraine, backache, stomach upset etc. I guess all anyone can do is find somewhere to stay or return by public transport and arrange for someone else to pick the car up or pick it up yourself when you’re better.

I agree, breakdown cover is for the vehicle, not the person driving. I have never come across insurance that covers that, I may be very wrong, but as far as I’m aware, it’s more about the vehicle? If you have any problems, you are told to report them to the DVLA, they deem whether you are capable to carrying on driving or not, nothing to do with insurance companies. False info results in void claims though, you need to see DVLA guidelines & report any relapses, basically, I don’t think you are covered/can be in this instance.

Obviously I’ve reported to DVLA and have just sent my licence to be exchanged for a 3 year medical licence, but as a newly diagnosed person I’m very nervous not knowing what to expect from my condition and the limitations it’s going to put on my life - real or otherwise. I am naturally risk averse and want to put as many mitigations in place ‘just in case’ so I can relax a bit and get into my new ‘normal’. Has anyone else experienced a relapse when they’ve driven a significant distance from home? How did they deal with it - I mean logistically not emotionally?

No insurance will cover that. When I was dx, I was driving miles for work, truth is I had to stop. You won’t be covered by insurance & are putting you/others at risk. If you know your unsafe/going to be unable to drive, don’t. I had to wait each time I reported a relapse, for good reason. You are not safe to drive, until Dr, neuro, DVLA says so. I know when a relapse is about to happen, if things are not feeling ‘right’ don’t get in a car.

Totally relate to your point, but I don’t think their is a solution.

ms is pure s£&it.


Forget the car, look at travel insurance for you.
Buy it right and there should be a get-you-home clause.
Go to an insurance broker and ask - and tell them why (or non-disclosure will invalidate the insurance).


I’d say forget trying to unsure yourself for something that may not happen. If you are miles away at a friends, then hoping said friend would help get you back. OR there are always trains. I travel by public transport as I cannot drive. Difficult? Yes, but there is assisted travel.

Think back, was there a trigger for the relapse in 2017. If driving 500 miles would be that trigger, then DON’T. If you have a few days warning, again, best not to. Other wise, do not be thinking what if every 5 mins - get on and live life to the full!

Hi, I have my car insurance with Aviva and have taken out the option of Aviva breakdown cover. The breakdown cover is by the RAC and the level I went for also covers for the following Recovery of your vehicle and passengers if the driver is medically unfit to drive. I would think the RAC would probably offer this if you didn’t go through Aviva for your car insurance. Hope this is some help. Phil

Agree with Irons, My RAC covers vehicles and if driver is taken ill.

My policy was part of the Barclays Additions scheme where you pay a monthly fee to the bank for extra benefits on your account, but it’s the same level of cover even you go direct to RAC.

I’m sure the AA are the same, I think its a fairly basic part of your cover.

Drivers taken ill, car is left unattended therefore car and passengers are either taken back to the original home or onto their destination.

Theres usually two cover options

Vehicle only or Personal cover.

The only real difference is that with vehicle cover you give up to 3 car registration numbers to cover, with personal cover you are covered in any car as a driver or passenger, but both levels of cover offer if a driver is taken ill.

This is the Aviva link but RAC site says same thing

This is from the RAC FAQ’s link.

Q. Can I get help if/when away from home I become too unwell to drive?

Yes if you have Recovery cover. Cover is available should you be taken ill and cannot continue your journey and you have no passengers who can drive the vehicle. You will need to produce some form of medical certificate for this (in these cases, we will provide service at our discretion).

Also if you’re a Blue Badge holder let them know when you join as this gives preferential treatment in the event of a break down.