D day was 5 October 2017 following a period of blurred vision. It was blindingly obvious I couldn’t drive at the onset of symptoms but I finally got back behind the wheel after six months abstinence when I finally got to see my neurologist in December (SO much waiting last year ). When I asked him about driving he looked at me as if I was mad, until I reminded him of my symptoms (which had gone by this point).
I’ve now been driving round town for six weeks, but I’m very nervous about driving further afield. Pre-diagnosis I thought nothing of getting in the car and driving 500 miles, but now I don’t want to leave town without belt and braces risk management strategies in place. I have the hindsight to know that my symptoms had a couple of days lead up, however, in the end they came on severe overnight. I was a few hundred miles away at a friends only a few months before this started, so I’m very concerned about getting a repeat of these symptoms and being stuck away from home. How do I get me and the car back?
I’ve contacted my breakdown provider who got confused and said if I have a passenger insured to drive when I can’t and the car breaks down, the other driver will be covered, but I’m looking for cover if I breakdown! They also said this sort of cover would normally come from my insurance company but when I informed them, they’ve noted my condition (without question) but said they don’t cover me for repatriation.
What insurance do others have in place for this kind of situation?